UDOObuntu 2 with Kernel 3.14

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by Andrea Rovai, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there all,
    you probably saw the announce of UDOObuntu 2 with Kernel 3.14 yesterday.
    We're about to release them in a beta version, and at the moment I'm working with the team to identify and list all the problems of the current version of UDOObuntu. So my first question would be: what would you like to see solved in UDOObuntu 2? In a second place, what improvement would you like to see?

We hope you give us your feedback!
    Cheers

2. mocho

mocho New Member

For me Udoo as been a big dispointement because mainly of this questions:
    - Oficial images have no updates (apt-get upgrade)
    - Lack of a media player with http stream support and hardware decoding (like for example the omxplayer in the pi2, better if it would be possible with vlc)
    -lack of bridge support in kernel (Wich is fairly basic and useful feature)

The pi2 is much cheaper and has much better support.

3. modjo

modjo Active Member

Hi Andrea, good news about udoobuntu 2 and kernel 3.14, i'm waiting the beta version (to use with my udoo quad and soon the seco SBCA62 what we will have at my job).
    Improvement that i see :
    - A good video player like VLC (mkv, avi ...)
    - A ready configuration of gadmin proftpd / samba to share easily files on network
    - like mocho a possibility to use apt-get upgrade
    - the necessary libs to compil qt5.5 (perhaps a package, new functional tutorial) --> i will try it when i can download the beta version

Last months i said some critics about udoo, in resume nice hardware but no software support, i hope this will better in the future ...

4. Manfred van der Voort

Manfred van der Voort New Member

First of all I've to tell that at the moment I'm not a UDOO user. However I definitely would be one as I'm patiently waiting for the Neo to be released. With the Neo I would like to develop a Martitime Instrument & Display Controller. Codename MIDC. To a certain extend comparable with what the Open Sailing Processor / Fairwind group is aiming at and quite uniqely using the existing CAN bus interface for NMEA2000 interfacing. For this project creating an Wifi Access Point with the Neo is crucial based on the Linux O.S.

I read that the next version of UDOObuntu will be 14.04 based. That good news in my opinion. The bad news is that hostapd - which is required for that - is buggy in 14.04. Please refer to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/wpa/ bug/1289047 for precise information about it So it would be great if the UDOObuntu2 distro will have the good pieces to setup a Wifi Access Point.

The last thin I can mention is CAN bus support through the required drivers I they aren't already there. That's it and I would be very happy to be a Beta tester on the parts I mentrioned before.

5. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

Hi guys. We are improving the software support starting from this release. This means also more software updates. I joined the UDOO Team recently, before that I was from "your side", so I am aware of the lack of support on the software side.

* apt-get upgrade is working
    * QT5 will be provided (with Vivante 3D acceleration)
    * video decoding is a work in progress, but will be provided in the second beta

Manfred: I see the issue with hostapd. Some other ARM distro are providing hostapd from 13.10, which seems to work. Do you think it is an acceptable solution?

6. Manfred van der Voort

Hi Francesco, I'm sorry I can't answer your question right now. Reason: my current hardware (AMD64 based) lacks a Wifi controller supporting AP mode. And AP mode is required for creating a generic Access Point. As fas as I read the different documented workarouds, the suggested hostapd from the 13.10 release should be OK.

This is one of the reasons I suggested to be a Beta tester, becasue that requires to have the Neo hardware which has this AP option standard on board in the Wifi controller :)

7. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

These beta builds are intended for UDOO Quad, which it's RT5370 Wifi card supports AP mode. Do you have a Quad board to test the beta against? In this case I could provide you built packages from 13.10 and 14.10
    13.10's hostapd is old and unmantained, 14.10's hostapd has security patches applied. If you could test if is working it would be very helpful.
    Can't speak for the Neo testing right now - I do not have a Neo either.

8. Manfred van der Voort

Noop, I'm totally new to UDOO. The Neo is the reason I'm here. See earlier in this thread.

9. Manfred van der Voort

10. Andrea Rovai

Hi there all,
    Cheers!

11. Manfred van der Voort

For my objected Maritime Instrument & Display Controller, I can't use the UDOO offered touch screens. There are 2 main reasons:
    1. size (on a small boat 10 - 12 inch is ideal, 7 and 15 aren't) and
    2. sunlight readable capability
    So looking on the 3rd party market place, there is an interesting offering by Advantech (i'm not affiliated whatsoever) for my project. Looking further on this display and a couple of others being used by UDOO users are all from the same source regarding the display controller board: EETI (eGalax_eMPIA Technology Inc). There is an article on this forum describing troubles with a touch screen on UDOO: http://udoo.org/forum/threads/anyone-having-usb-touchscreen-issues.560 This touch screen again is one with eGalax as source for the controller board.

Based on this article, there is some kernel tweaking required to get these screens partly working. It would be pretty awesome if (kernel) support will be built in with the required drivers for eGalax controller board based touch screens. The most recent drivers I've found are here: http://www.eeti.com.tw/drivers_Linux.html, including the ARM architecture.

In short my suggestion for improvement would be: include some support of 3rd party touch screens based on eGalax controller board. Thanks a lot.

When I have decided to buy one myself and the Neo has been released, I would be more than happy to evaluate & describe the UDOObuntu2 results for this topic.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  12. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

Hi Manfred. Unfortunatly we do not own such screen. BTW if you or anyone else in the community wanna work on getting it working, we can help. And of course we are open to receive pull requests on the new kernel.

13. Manfred van der Voort

Hi Francesco, I understand the lack of such a screen. That's the reason I think that supporting a generelized display controller board like the eGalax is the best approach to make a lot of people happy. In the coming weeks I will buy one with the risk getting a job which is challenging me to pick up some of my old skills: modifying/enhancing Unix OS-es. Some assistance on that definitely will be appreceated by me. Obviously I'm happy to document the installation/configuration process for the community.

14. Andrea Rovai

Hi there all!
    We're pleased to tell you UDOObuntu 2.0 Beta1 is now released.
    :eek:
    Great news:
    • GPU accelerated Kernel 3.14.28, from Freescale!
    • apt-get update works fine!
    • Arduino IDE 1.6.5-r3, the latest one from Arduino!
    • Xorg 1.15, with the latest graphic driver from Freescale supporting all Vivante GPU!
    • Chromium Browser 40, WebGL enabled!
    • PHP 5.5 included by default!
    • Gstreamer works fine – just use gplay!
    I invite you to take a look at the blog post, cos it tells you a few tips related to the Arduino IDE and the boot.
    And given that we're eager of your feedback, do not hesitate to share it, regardless of the feedback being a good one or a bad one.
    Obviously this is just a beta.
    In the next beta, that is supposed to be on the end of August, you'll get also, for the happiness of modjo :p also qt5 precompiled:)!

kendall.green and modjo like this.
  15. modjo

modjo Active Member

Whaooooooooooooooooooou ! Very nice work ! very interresting improvement , congratulation for your job udoo team !
    For information, what is gstreamer version (0.1 or 1.0) ? For qt5:p, i suppose you talk about qt5.5 (with qt 3d, bluetooth smart ...) ? I have compiled it (with qt creator on the card) on raspberry 2 and i'm very exited to test it on udoo ... If all work fine, i think you have the best hardware and (now) a good software solution ...
    P.s : i have just received my seco A62 and i let you know if it work fine on it !:)

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  16. Andrea Rovai

Thanks modjo, I'm so happy you appreciate! :p
    It's Gstreamer 0.1. We'll enable 1.0 in the following betas.
    Regarding qt5 we mean 5.2., the one included in Ubuntu 14.04. It should be easy, starting from 5.2., to achieve 5.5. Let us know about A62!

17. Andrea Rovai

Guys, I made a file on my drive to collect all the bugs of UDOObuntu 2, so to have an open test and fix them in the next betas.
    If you find a bug, just report it there, here on this topic, as a comment on the dedicated blog post or just email me at andrea.rovai@udoo.org and I'll report the bug on the list by myself.

18. modjo

modjo Active Member

Ok thanks for your rapid answer. Next week i'm on holiday but after that i will try to compile qt 5.5 and let you know ...

19. Andrea Rovai

20. sknipas

sknipas New Member

Andrea, which toolchain did you use for crosscompiling?