Udoo Neo issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by nophead, Oct 31, 2015.

1. nophead

nophead UDOOer

I have the board connecting over Ethernet, Wifi and USB. I get the web interface and can also log in with ssh using udooer, udooer.

The web configuration gives "Unexpected error during keyboard layout change. Please, try again." regardless of whether I set the keyboard to gb or leave it as the default us.

The composite USB device includes a CDC serial port but Win7 doesn't have a driver, where can I find the driver for that? Tried here http://www.udoo.org/tutorial/connecting-via-serial-cable/?portfolioID=1394 but seems to be wrong VID.

The web interface shows "Remote desktop active" but I couldn't connect to it with TightVNC until I ran

vncserver :1 -geometry 800x600 -depth 24

It then just gives a completely grey screen with a cursor.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  2. Josh

Josh New Member

Hi! I'm experiencing similar issues.

The web configuration gives "Unexpected error during keyboard layout change. Please, try again."
    I'm getting the same error. I had to unplug the Neo while it was powered up once during install to get the USB device to be recognized. I was worried I had already corrupted the SD card, but this is an oddly specific error.

Perhaps the partition is write protected, but no, I can create files over SSH. Next thought would be that the config file may have ownership issues related to the web app. I haven't dug in to find that bit yet. At that point I'll probably just set the field manually.

One bit of good news here; if I do not enter a wifi password another error is generated that the password is incorrect. So the Wifi credentials may actually be getting saved.

The web interface shows "Remote desktop active" but I couldn't connect to it with TightVNC until I ran
    vncserver :1 -geometry 800x600 -depth 24

I hadn't gotten that far. I was going to adapt the instructions from https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-setup-vnc-for-ubuntu-12
    I've gotten the grey screen on VNC connections in the past. Best guess would be to reboot and try this on vncserver :0 to see if one is already running. If so, check the config files to find out the geometry. There's not a section in the manual for VNC yet, so starting from scratch (the digitalocean article) may not be a horrible idea.

If anyone does have a more specific tutorial for the NEO that would be great to post!

The composite USB device includes a CDC serial port

This looks like it may be the Arduino showing up as a device. From what I found, in order to program the Arduino from the computer it would have to be forwarded. The M4 communicates internally, I don't think it's compatible with programming over the USB. This may be bug, or an artifact of the fact that an OTG can be connected to create another USB port. I really don't know.

• If it is possible to program over the USB sign me up.
    • If there could be an IDE built into the web UI, that would be beyond amazing.

3. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody for pointing this bug out. It will be fixed soon.
    For what concerns tutorials generally speaking, the first one have been made by Christian Edge, a UDOOer. You can find them here and here

4. Andrea Rovai

Dear Josh, anyway if you say "Ok" when you get the message ""Unexpected error during keyboard layout change. Please, try again." you'll have to reboot and then it will work.

5. Andrea Rovai

Dear nophead and josh,
    you speak about a gray screen with a cursor in VNC.
    Have you tried just waiting? It works for me if I wait circa 5-10 seconds.

6. nophead

nophead UDOOer

The problem was caused by following the tutorial that says start vncserver and to use a port number when connecting. That gives a grey screen forever. If one connects without a port number it works after a couple of seconds. xvnc is already running.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  7. Andrea Rovai

Hi there nophead,
    I didn't understand what you're talking about. When I open VNC Viewer, before connecting I enter the port I'm going to connect, then I enter my password (udooer) then it just connects. What doesn't work on your side?

8. nophead

nophead UDOOer

9. Marco Schiff

Marco Schiff New Member

You must use udoo neo ip..

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

10. Andrea Rovai

11. Marco Schiff

Marco Schiff New Member

[​IMG]

12. nophead

nophead UDOOer

I don't think that existed when I got my Neo, did it? All the pictures in that section are broken at the moment.

13. Andrea Rovai

Dear nophead,
    it all depends on when you got your Neo :)
    The video tutorial exists since Friday, and the written tutorial exists since before but the part about VNC exists since Friday.

14. Marco Schiff

Marco Schiff New Member

I just started Linux on udoo.. connected it to my Wi-Fi and with my iPhone connected to the same Wi-Fi i scanned the ip that was connected in the network.. The name of the application is fing..

15. nophead

nophead UDOOer

I started this thread before then, Oct 31st.