Giving up

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Steve Miller, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Steve Miller

Steve Miller New Member

I've followed the Quick Start guides as best I could - it took 2 hours to download the UDOObuntu.zip file and another 9 hours to unzip and download the 3+ Gb file to my microSD. Once I'd done that, I'd hoped I could access the board from my computer but no luck so far. I've tried both 192.168.7.2 and udooneo.local, but Safari can't find the server. I've used a micro-USB to power the board and it appears to work with lots of flashing green and red lights (a good sign, I think). I've tried to connect it as an Arduino Due as instructed elsewhere but get , "User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping" and a failure to compile. When I go to the UDOO web pages for Arduino, there isn't anything there yet.

All I really wanted out of this was an Arduino-compatible board with Bluetooth and Wifi, but so far it's just a pain in the ass. I'm shelving it at this point and will revisit it in a few months when the UDOO guys have finished what should have been done before they shipped the board.

Plexi47 and David wang like this.
  2. necromancer

necromancer New Member

Hi,
    I had similar issue when i started out. 192.168.7.2 doesn't work, neither does udooneo.local. However, I am able to connect to udooneo and this is how i did it.

1. Use hdmi and bluetooth keyboard/mouse to manually connect udooneo to my local wifi using the linux distro.
    2. Go to your router's configuration page to find out the ip address of the udooneo.
    3. you can access the webServer using the retrieved ip address. however udooneo.local still doesn't work. I know that this doesn't work for me because I am on mac osx el capitan and starting osx yosemite, apple made ".local" as Apple only domain (or something like that - I am not entirely sure). But IP works.

So now, i power to device up without HDMI. wait a little bit for the udooneo to show up on my router's configuration page, get the ip from the website and i can VNC into the device.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck. Also don't give up yet.

Marco Schiff likes this.
  3. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear Steve,
    I'm sorry you are experiencing these issues.
    Let's solve them.

a) 2 hours to download the zip.file? 9 hours to unzip it? I guess you're using a 56k connection! On my computer it took just half an hour, and that's because the connection here sucks.

b) Since you talked about 3GB etc it's clear you did something wrong while you prepared the Micro SD. Please, read the guide we released, especially step number 2, and follow ALL the steps.
    But if you do not want to learn how to flash a Micro SD - and you definitely should, sooner or later - on November 12 we'll made available preloaded Micro SD into our shop.

c) Accessing the board from your computer should easy, since I did it also yesterday and I'm not an engineer nor a computer science guy.
    I suggest to try to connect through VNC first.
    First, download a VNC Viewer, like RealVNC. Then, once downloaded, execute it and install it on your computer. Then connect the board: I did it through a Micro USB to USB cable - the USB was connected to my computer. Once you got to this point the board is powered, and the Green LED will start blinking.
    This way moreover you will use your PC as keyboard and screen.
    Now it's easy.
    Open RealVNC. Type 192.168.7.2 (beware that after the number 2 there is no dot) and press Enter.
    Then type the password "udooer" and press enter.
    At this moment you'll see a grey window with a cursor. Just wait a couple of seconds and it will become the desktop window of UDOObuntu 2 (assuming you're using UDOObuntu 2)
    You better also read the guide about USB Direct Connection, VNC.
    We also made a video tutorial about using UDOO Neo as a headless device, that recaps some of the tricks abovementioned.

c) Could you tell us what doesn't work on your side about udooneo.local?

d) Where have you read that you should connect UDOO Neo to something as Arduino DUE? I think not from the UDOO Team, since the M4 on UDOO Neo has the same pinout layout of Arduino UNO, not DUE. Moreover, as you've read in the Kickstarter update announcing the beginning of the shippings, for the moment Arduino on UDOO Neo can only be programmed internally, that is from the Cortex A9 core.

e) Bluetooth is close to be released. The board connects via Wi-Fi. What problems do you encounter?

Duncan Stewart and Marco Schiff like this.
  4. Steve Miller

Steve Miller New Member

I appreciate the work that the UDOO team has put into this, but when I opted in on Kickstarter all I really wanted was a board that operated in the Arduino IDE with WiFi and Bluetooth. An extra bonus were the sensors included with the board. What I didn't want to do was learn another language and jump through a number of hoops to get it to work. I've wasted way too much time already and appear to be close to where I was when I took it out of the package. Again, it would be helpful if your team could step out of your "expert" mode and try to relate to what your customers are going through. Assuming that we're brainless idiots who can't read really isn't very helpful.

5. necromancer

necromancer New Member

How can you guarantee that the ip address will always be 192.168.7.2? 192.168.x.x represents local ip address, which means that there is a good chance that this ip is already assigned by your wifi router to a different device. If not dynamically, what if the user has this ip assigned to a different device.

Marco Schiff likes this.
  6. Marco Schiff

Marco Schiff New Member

Necromancer I was wondering the same thing ..
    I just started Linux on udoo.. connected it to my Wi-Fi and with an app on my iPhone connected to the same Wi-Fi i scanned the ip that was connected in the network.. The name of the application is fing.. Then I put the ip address of udoo neo on vnc viewer and I entered the password udooer .. And [​IMG]everything worked perfectly .. even better than when it is connected with the HDMI cable

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Steve Miller likes this.
  7. RoughingIT

RoughingIT New Member

Hi there, since you are using a Mac, I believe the network driver is not installed to enable USB networking. You can verify this by pinging 192.168.7.2 on the terminal. This is why you have to wait a while before you get the timeout message as it's looking for an address that's not immediately addressable by your router.

You can download the drivers from this page: http://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Basic_Setup/Usb_Direct_Connection.html . As for me, I don't really dare to install any drivers on my Mac to test due to bad experiences, and also the fact that I have no idea whether they worked or not.

What I do is to install linux on a VM, (I'm using VMware), and when I plugged in the USB, I let the VM take over the USB connection. This way, using the linux on the VM's terminal I can connect to 192.168.7.2 (either SSH or VNC). Mac and Windows require drivers, a recent linux distro, say Ubuntu, should already have the needed drivers pre-compiled and loaded on demand.

The easiest way IMO, is to connect via RJ45 cable, and use Fing to detect the IP that was provided by your router to the Neo (or the udooneo.local address might work then).

For those who are curious by the 192.168.7.2 IP address setup, it's built in on the Neo (or say, BeagleBone black) via rndis_host driver. Your computer will be assigned 192.168.7.1 with this setup.

Steve Miller and Marco Schiff like this.
  8. necromancer

necromancer New Member

I have installed both of the driver you have linked. What still doesn't make sense is what if I have statically assigned ip 192.168.7.2 to a different device?

9. RoughingIT

RoughingIT New Member

Easy, your network driver may or may not get the device you wanted. And say if you do get to reach the UdooNeo, the link may suddenly get disconnected intermittently. Almost the same problem that one gets when two network cards have the same MAC address.

In the Udoo, of course if you are in the 192.168.7.x network, the USB interface will always reply to the 192.168.7.2 address. Anyway, the USB network device should be temporary, enough to get you to set up the LAN/WIFI connections.

10. RoughingIT

RoughingIT New Member

BTW, you can always change the IP to something else in the network configuration (if you mount the linux partition on another linux computer)

file: /etc/network/interfaces
    allow-hotplug usb0
    iface usb0 inet static
    address 192.168.7.2
    netmask 255.255.255.252

And the /etc/udhcp.conf file:

udooer@udooneo:/etc$ cat udhcpd.conf
    start 192.168.7.1
    end 192.168.7.1
    interface usb0
    max_leases 1
    option subnet 255.255.255.252

11. Steve Miller

Steve Miller New Member

Marco,

fing is a great idea. I downloaded it, scanned the network, and discovered that all the IP's are 10.0.1.X. These are all part of my WiFi network and showed up when I ran the network tool in Tech Tools 8. I don't have Linux and really don't want to mess it. Thanks for your help.

Marco Schiff likes this.
  12. Steve Miller

Steve Miller New Member

RoughingIT,

This was one of the first things I did. Since I don't use (or want to use) Linux, I'm not sure how to get the IP address for the Neo. See my comment to Marco above. The board definitely works: when it's powered up its lights (red, green, amber) flash for about 30 seconds and then settle to steady green.
    I actually suspect this might be a an El Capitan issue since the UDOO documentation still references potential Mavericks issues.
    Thanks for your help.

13. Marco Schiff

Marco Schiff New Member

I'm glad to be helpful .. I inform you that I'm looking for a way to use udoo from the iPhone outside the home.. so even without available networks (I think it will also work on Android devices)

14. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Fellows, lets give the folks at Udoo a break. It is obvious that this is a tiny company trying to push the envelop with a sofisticated board like NEO. There is a reason why we supported them on Kickstarters, we wanted this kind of product and there was notthing like that for < US50. It is not ready for plug and play as an Arduino development just as an Arduino board now. It was explained in one of the Kickstarters communication we received.
    If you wan a M4 based board for development compatible with the Arduino pin out, there are options out there. Search of mBed development, Freescale has some for US$35 and the development environment is free "and better than the Aruduino IDE". They will have similar sensors as NEO on them.

For the folks having problems on Mac with 192.168.7.2 using the USB as the network connection, it does not work yet. See the other Threads in the Forum. A possible work around is to use a Linux or Windows machine (or virtual machine) to get to NEO, set it in your network with a fix IP address, then you can use your Mac to connect to it VNC or SSH. Alternatively, use can try a direct network cable between NEO and your Mac putting your mac wired IP address on the same range as the NEO 192.168.7.x.

Just to make sure people get this, the 192.168.7.2 is the IP address for the USB network connection to you computer ONLY. If you don't set a fix IP address on NEO, once you connect it to your WiFi or hardwire network it will get an IP address from you network router (DHCP) - TCP/IP network principles....

Thanks,
    -Jack

Steve Miller and Marco Schiff like this.
  15. necromancer

necromancer New Member

We are not giving Udoo a hard time. Just trying to help other udooers with issues we are facing.
    No where in their document or kickstarter updates have they mentioned that USB and mac doesn't work. So we are simply sharing alternatives of how we went around the problem.

16. maara

maara Member

You obviously misunderstood the project and its status at the time the boards will be released. Sound kinda cliche but the kickstarter is not an eshop... When saying that you didn't wanted to learn another language (the biggest stupidity I have heard in last weeks) and was expecting this to be yet another arduino, I really wondered why you even bothered buying it without getting any information about the hardware itself. Why you haven't bougth Yun in its all arduino friendly fashion? Why not just a wireless shield? Because you obviously wanted to try something else...- and you problem is that you need to think and learn something new? Man pls....
    Sorry mate but from what you said and what kind of stupid issues you are blaming the udoo team for, I really "assume some users are brainless idiots who can't read".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marco Schiff and vpeter like this.
  17. Steve Miller

Steve Miller New Member

Hey, maara

Thanks for the comments. Yes I'm a stupid, lazy asshole who didn't read the original campaign and thought I was buying a radio.

From the Kickstarter campaign:
    • You get all the simplicity of an Arduino-compatible board, thanks to the Cortex-M4 and the Arduino UNO pinout layout, with the possibility of adding most Arduino™ shields, actuators and sensors, both analog and digital.
    • You get a wireless module: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n + BT 4.0 (Classic Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy), because we hate cables.
    Also from the Kickstarter campaign: "We designed UDOO as an easy product to get started with. On UDOO Neo, thanks to the powerful Cortex-M4, you can run Arduino™ sketches using the standard Arduino™ IDE. UDOO Neo is compatible with all the sketches, tutorials and resources available from the Arduino™ community."

But I didn't understand any of that. The fact that it isn't ready is really a delivery issue. I would have preferred waiting on delivery until it was ready, but that wasn't our call.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  18. Marco Schiff

Marco Schiff New Member

hello Steve if you want I can buy your udoo neo if you think of buying it for nothing .. I'll pay the shipping.. Tell me how much money you want .. So you can recover a bit of money and buy what you really need for your projects
    Thank you

19. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Hi Guys,
    we're reading and working to solve all the issues you're experiencing...
    Regarding the MAC OS X driver issue, did you followed this guide and installed proper drivers?
    http://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Basic_Setup/Usb_Direct_Connection.html

We tried them extensively on MAC and it works...

In any case, thanks for the feedbacks, they're useful for us!

20. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Milelangeloz,

Did you try on a Mac running what MacOS version? I am guessing you did not test with 10.11.x. Many of us can't make it work. Yes, we followed the instruction.

Thanks,
    -Jack