Usb Direct connection for UDOO Neo Not Working

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Arr Vee, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Arr Vee

Arr Vee New Member

Hello, my USB Direct Connection for UDOO Neo Full is not working. The computer is not detecting that UDOO is even plugged in. I tried on multiple computers Mac and PC (OS X Yosemite and Windows 10). I followed the directions on http://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Basic_Setup/Usb_Direct_Connection.html and it still didn't work. For Mac I installed the drivers and even tried using the OS X El Capitan driver. Could you please tell me what to do?

2. klakier2121

klakier2121 Member

Make sure that you booted microSD properly

3. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

If your UDOO NEO doesn’t boot follow this guide to solve your problem.

If none of this works open a ticket and explain your problem.

LED check

1. First of all, check if the green LED turns on when you power up the board. If it doesn’t, then open a ticket and explain your problem.

Operating System check

1. Check that the SHA-1 of the Operating System you downloaded is the same declared on udoo.org/downloads.

You can check the SHA-1 value of the .zip file using the command "sha1sum" on Linux or with a software like "MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility" on Windows. If the checksum isn't the same please download the file again from udoo.org/downloads.

Micro SD Card check

1. Reflash the Micro SD Card one more time.

2. If it still doesn’t work, reflash the Micro SD Card with a different OS in order to exclude a problem with your Micro SD Card. Eventually try with a new MicroSD Card: the one you were using could be corrupted and cannot be restored to proper functionality;

Power Supply check

1. Check if you are using the proper Power Supply and if it provides the right voltage and amperage. Beware that the LVDS requires 12V to work, so you need a 12V Power Supply.

To check that your Power Supply works fine, check with a multimeter if the output voltage sits between 6 and 15V and at least 1A; after plugging the Power Supply cable, hit the reset button.

4. Arr Vee

Arr Vee New Member

Still doesn't work

5. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hello, are you sure your USB cable works for data? No, I am not kidding. At least two times on my adventures with ucotrollers the USB cable was giving me problems. It could power the device but was not reliable for data. In fact, last week I spent some time with my Go-Pro camera trying to figure out why the computer could not see it all the time. Guess what happened when I tried another USB cable ...
    I hope this helps.

As you can image many people (except the one with Mac El Capitan) are having success with the initial connection of NEO into Linux and Windows.
    Thanks,
    -Jack

Richard McCausland likes this.
  6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Does it boot properly:
    When you connect the UDOONEO to a wired ethernet network can you see the dashboard at http://udooneo.local ? Could also be http://<IP-adress>
    Or if you connect it to a HDMI monitor do you see the desktop?

Arr Vee likes this.
  7. Arr Vee

Arr Vee New Member

Thanks, waltervl!

8. Andrea Rovai

Dear Arr,
    does it work now?

9. ashtonkase

ashtonkase New Member

Hi Andrea,
    I have a series of complications with my udoo neo.
    first: i seem not able to connect to the serial port like the external arduino tutorial on youtube().
    everything works both with my LVDS 7" screen except for this specific issue of non serial connectivity to external arduino IDE and also usb serial connection.
    i will upload screenshots below.
    I also have a problem with udoo neo working with my Tinysine sim900 gsm/gprs arduino shield(http://www.tinyosshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=464) which works perfectly well with my arduino Uno.The sheild powers up but only shows power light(no signal or etc),i tried adding up my external power i bought from udoo and the udoo starts actin very funny(probably a bug that slide through).I am aware of programming external shields on udoo neo using serial0 as regards serial.
    lastly can you assist me to any library that works with udoo gprs that handles the string library missing in the inbuilt editor and also udoo gprs compatible library as teh one from tinysine doesnt work.

Thanks

Attached Files:

10. Andrea Rovai

If RNDIS driver works properly on your side you can use an SSH client (e.g. Putty) to have a console on 192.168.7.2
    Regarding the serial driver try to go to http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx
    Try to download drivers from there and check if it works.
    What you mean when you say that at boot UDOO start acting strangely?
    The libraries don't work because they are not compiled for i.MX 6SoloX. You should recompile those libraries for UDOO NEO, but I should warn you that it's not a trivial task.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  11. ashtonkase

ashtonkase New Member

Hi Andrea,
    These are the drivers i used as u can see in the screenshots i attached in my previous message, please have a look at the images.
    Secondly, what i mean by act funny is simply put that the udoo neo doesnt power up when power supply is put with the arduino gprs sheild on top of it.
    One has to remove it and pur power before you put the shield then the udoo comes on.
    Lastly, i will appreciate if you show me direction on how to compile the library for imx6 solo. I know it wont be trivial but a direction will help.
    Lastly , i believe you should know i have done the putty part and am not new with hardwares. I feel you just rushed through your response without really reading through the issues i raised.
    I have 5 of these boards and not having use for them will be a bad reputation for udoo .
    Please guide me on the libraries for the above shield or direct me to someone who can.

Thanks

12. Andrea Rovai

Hi ashtonkase,
    I'm sorry if my reply misses the point somehow.
    One more question: if you put your ear near to the board do you hear a repetitive sound slightly resembling the pitter-patter of a clock?
    Concerning Kernel compilation, here is a guide: http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/docs/kerncomp.php

13. ashtonkase

ashtonkase New Member

Hi Andrea ,
    Thanks for your support.
    Well,as regards connectivity , i wanted to have all the connection methods but since i couldn't achieve being able to upload arduino sketch externally i am using the internal IDE.
    For the sim900 shield , i have fixed most problems bur the udoo team need to take a look at the power bug where the udoo tends to under power and the red power led flashes erratically when the udoo neo is powered on when the tinysine gprs shield is on it with both AC or usb power supply.
    As regards the sheild library, i am almost done converting it to a compatible library for the udoo imx6 solo, so no need for the kernel link above but thanks anyways.
    Lastly,i found a very simple way to use the java simple serial library wthout the bottlenecks and it works perfectly(https://code.google.com/p/java-simple-serial-connector/).
    Thanks for the support

14. Arr Vee

Arr Vee New Member

I connected using a different micro usb cable and it works now. Thanks for all of your help.

15. Andrea Rovai

Dear ashtonkase,
    I'm happy you almost solved your problem. The issue you stated anyway, the one about the red erratic flash and your shield, is hardware-related, not software-related. Some shields must be added after the boot because they require energy at boot and that hinders the boot.

16. Danilo_Burbano

Danilo_Burbano New Member

Just UDOO NEO board . I have connected to the motherboard via a direct USB connection. I can not open the web control panel using 192.168.7.2 . in windows 7 because i have problem with CDC Serial driver

17. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

@Danilo_Burbano Does your Neo boot properly?
    If you connect it to a HDMI monitor do you see the desktop? Can you access it through Wifi or wired network?
    You can reach the Neo on the IP adress given by your router. When you connect the UDOONEO to a wired ethernet network can you see the dashboard at http://udooneo.local ? Could also be http://<IP-adress>

18. Danilo_Burbano

Thanks for your support. @waltervl
    yes , I can see that start because the board creates a wireless network that connects my pc . each board has a different IP address? 192.168.7.2 is not general?

19. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

192.1 68.7.2 is only valid for USB. Each connection type gets its own IP. When you connect through wifi you have to look in your router to see what IP the Neo has received from the router.

Please try another USB cable if you are sure the Neo booted correctly.

Danilo_Burbano likes this.
  20. Danilo_Burbano

@waltervl Noting the details of the connection I find the physical address: 54-35-30-64-BF-45, The Gateway 192.168.7.2 prederminada.
    But I can not set the USB coneccion.