Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by calgarykev, Oct 19, 2013.

1. calgarykev

calgarykev New Member

Just testing the Android image:
    - the logo I see when it boots, I presume I am not getting accelerated graphics
    - the browser is horridly slow and crashes a lot

Is the version of Android in need of a lot of tweaking to run on this hardware? Or is this as good as it is ever going to get with this processor?

Kev

2. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

I'm thinking needs tweeking which will hopefully come later. (Fingers crossed)

3. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

Is the current android build really that unstable? Mine won't boot at all (although Linux ccomes up fine) and I've been told to re-flash the sd card with the current d/l image but is this functionally flawed? I had intended this as a fairly mission critical component in a security application. It sounds like they got it right with Linux but not android.

4. psaitz

psaitz New Member

UDOO defines itself as "a multi development platform solution for Android, Linux, Arduino™ and Google ADK 2012". (see UDOO features page) If Android is reallly unstable, UDOO is useless for me. I have not yet got my UDOO. (still waiting) Can somebody else confirm calgarykev's experiences with Android for UDOO? An official statement from UDOO developers would be appropriate and helpful.

5. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Hi all,

the main UDOO's team focus during the last 3 months was "hardware development". Since the KS project starts we went through 4 hardware releases and believe me, this is a lot of work. We are now proud to say that we are one of the few projects on KS that is on time, shipping is taking a lot, but we are on schedule.

That said, we now need to focus on software development.
    We are some steps head with Linux, which is working well with a nice Arduino IDE integration (not easy to achieve), and we have Android 4.2.2 working with the ADK already implemented. The overall performances and impressions with both OSs are acceptable. The whole team is now working to improve general performances, achieve more stability on all fronts and add functionalities. The community support is fundamental at this stage.

New OS releases will be available in the near future and the bugs will be solved.

Solardave1, your is just an isolated case and is not related to the Android performance on UDOO.

Thanks everybody for your understanding and keep supporting us, we need your help now more than ever!

6. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

Well, I have an sd card and reader arriving today and I'll d/l and flash the build off the site and see what happens. I'm hoping you're right and I just have an isolated corrupted image. Thanks.

7. josolanes

josolanes New Member

I didn't test the Android image much (as my initial intention was to use the UDOO with Linux mostly) but mine did boot up and I was able to move between homescreens and open the app launcher. I didn't launch any apps, though. I immediately swapped to the Ubuntu image to start setting Ubuntu up at that point

(this was with the downloaded image)

8. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

Ubuntu isn't really of value to me but glad to hear that it seems to be working well for so many others. I have a very specific application that I needed a small form factor Android system and the ability to interface a cleanly as possible with Arduino for I/O. The specific s/w I need to run isn't available on anything but IOS or Android so threats my issue. If I can get udoo to run stable under Android it gives me an ideal solution. I'm hoping that just re-flashing the SD card with the latest d/l is all that's needed to get this going. It works great under Linux but that just won't work with my issue.

9. josolanes

josolanes New Member

I'm sure the one from the site will run better. As I said, mine booted Android without issue and seemed stable (no errors came up upon booting). The basic OS was usable but I didn't feel the need to look further

I do hear a lot of people suggesting using Android - I'll need to experiment with it some myself and see what can be done within it. No point in limiting it to one or the other (in my case, just experimenting mostly) when it can switch between both by simply swapping an SD Card

I hope the downloaded image works for you - I know it booted mine without any issues and seems to work well

10. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

I have a microSD with Android 4.2.2 and one with the Linero build. Both run very well and the Android image does accept apks via adb and run them well. No GApps at this time and I've not been able to get a complete set of the basics together and running from XDAdevelopers yet. Linero IDE runs well if a bit slow and successfully programs the ATMEL. Hardware is good. Software is coming along.

11. adiagr

adiagr New Member

Hi all, I got my UDOO board a few days ago. I put Android and was able to start it and is quite cool.

I then tried to install google play store via an adk and realized that the android install doesn't allow me to download any files from the network no matter what I try. the browser gives the message "Browser, not working". Is this because the sd card is somehow read-only? or do I need to install a downloader first? If I cant download files to the sd card what other way can I transfer adk's to UDOO?

Thanks in advance for help/advice

12. nmalinoski

nmalinoski New Member

I'm trying to get a USB keyboard working with the Android image shipped with my UDOO; it mostly works, but some keys don't do anything, like Num Lock, Caps Lock, and, most annoyingly, the right-hand shift key. I can't seem to find any keyboard layouts for standard 104-/105-key keyboards, just "Android keyboard".

Do I have any options aside from hacking up system files?

13. nmalinoski

nmalinoski New Member

I'd also like to report that having an Ethernet cable connected to the version of Android that shipped causes the OS to go into a boot loop (It reboots if you connect the cable when it's already loaded).

I only discovered this when the wireless repeatedly failed to connect to both of my WPA2-Personal/AES networks--it would only tell me 'Authentication problem', which isn't helpful at all, and yes, my password was typed correctly.

14. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

You'll need the Android SDK on you machine. Connect to microUSB OTG port. Run adb from command line to install APKs. There is no GApps support or community introduced option for GApps at this time. But I suspect there will be.

15. VOC

VOC UDOOer

I just got my set of Udoo's a couple of days ago.
    The Linux distro booted up but Android is going in a reboot frenzy when the network cable is connected.
    It boots without it, but then you connect the cable, boom, reboot. and keeps doing.
    Although it takes some time before it starts rebooting when I try to connect using 100mb FD instead of a 1GB network.

Thought I would download the zip files for the udoo's and re-image the sd cards but winrar keeps telling me that the zip file is corrupted.
    Anyone else tried to reflash the sdcards? with success ?

16. kfung

kfung New Member

adb didn't recognize the udoo board. I tried Samsung Galaxy S3, it works fine. Do I have to install any driver in my laptop?

17. chiefwigms

chiefwigms New Member

I couldn't get my PC to recognize the UDOO either with adb. What I had to do was plug into the CN6 OTG and use putty w/ 115k baud to open a debug prompt with root. If you have the APKs you want to install on a usb stick, plug it in and use pm to install them.

As a side note, w/ Android, I can't get the bluetooth module to work (it is detected, but if I try to enable bluetooth, it immediately turns off), and there is significant clipping (transparent red rectangles) that constantly display.

18. andcmp

andcmp New Member

New image files for Android should be available for download today or tomorrow with some bug fixes.

19. jeoliva

jeoliva New Member

I have an UDOO Dual board and Android image is not working. No message in serial and display is just black. I have re-flashed the microsd, have flashed a second microsd but same result in all the cases. Any of you know what could be the reason behind this?

Board boots perfectly using the linux sd.

Thanks

20. SoundChaos

SoundChaos New Member

I got the Android image 4.2.2 to boot up, shows kernel version 3.0.35.
    I have pretty much the same experience as the first poster, the whole system appears to not be making use of GPU acceleration, its overall glitchy to navigate, a yellow rectangle flashes over my screen every once in a while when I click anything in the settings. Just about any action I make in the system causes it to crash and go back to home screen, I can browse the internet and it connects just fine with the wifi, but it doesn't display correctly, and crashes consistently every time I try to download anything.

I have yet to try installing new apps through command line, but I can't download anything to the thing without using a different computer.

I hope Android becomes usable soon, I can't wait to play around in it!