Autofocus Linux Kernel

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by Justyn Bell, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Justyn Bell

Justyn Bell New Member

Hi,
    I noticed there are two branches labeled as autofocus in the github that contains similar fixes to the ov5640 autofocus as implemented in other places around the net (see: Boundary Devices https://boundarydevices.com/ov5642-auto-focus-on-i-mx6/)

I tried compiling one of the branches and adding it to my UDOObuntu SD card via these instructions: http://www.udoo.org/docs/Advanced_Topics/Compile_Linux_Kernel.html but it still isn't working.

From what I've been seeing online, the autofocus happens on the camera module's microprocessor itself, however, the firmware isn't flashed, or AF isn't enabled. Am I way off in assuming this? Can I get additional details to these two branches labeled autofocus? Do they work? Have they ever worked? How do I load them on my device and get AF on the camera working?

Udoo Dual.

--
    Justyn

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

These branches are under development but they do not work. Firmware isn't flashed. We started the development but we left it behind for reasons of time. Maybe @Francesco can give us more details - can you Francesco?

3. Justyn Bell

Justyn Bell New Member

This seems like a hard one to pin on you guys at Udoo. Why doesn't the ov5640 manufacturer provide an appropriate driver? They have a camera module with a microprocessor built in to it that has the capability for autofocus, but all these different people, such as yourselves and the BD guys have to solve this problem independently: creating a driver for them?

At this point I'm asking for my own curiosity.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  5. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

There's no plan at the moment :(