Advanced plus boot issues

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by TeMp3s7[^], May 10, 2017.

1. TeMp3s7[^]

TeMp3s7[^] New Member

just got my x86 ADVANCED PLUS board, when i hit escape while booting to bring up the menu then press enter on any of those menu items nothing happens, i cant seem to get in to the bios and no image i put on a sd card or usb is working.

am i missing something here?

2. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

The last item in menu, "SCU" is where you should be able to access BIOS - select it with cursor keys and press ENTER.

If you have 1.01 version then you might have some trouble with SD cards until you update BIOS to 1.02 so best to try using USB sticks until then.

TeMp3s7[^] likes this.
  3. TeMp3s7[^]

TeMp3s7[^] New Member

when i try to go in to SCU or any other menu item nothing happens

4. Markus Laire

Can you try different keyboard, or mouse as BIOS also supports selecting with mouse clicks?

TeMp3s7[^] likes this.
  5. TeMp3s7[^]

TeMp3s7[^] New Member

i have tried both a mouse and keyboard, when i click or press enter the highlighting / flashing of the icon goes away and then it just sits there

6. thE_29

thE_29 Member

Did you try different USB ports?

TeMp3s7[^] likes this.
  7. TeMp3s7[^]

TeMp3s7[^] New Member

8. mkopack

mkopack Member

Are you using a wireless or wired KB/mouse? Often wireless won't work properly until you have a full OS installed and booting. You ned to use wired to get into the bios properly.

TeMp3s7[^] likes this.
  9. TeMp3s7[^]

TeMp3s7[^] New Member

both mouse and keyboard are wired, i dont think its a problem with the selection, like i said when i click on the icon or when i press enter the flashing selection thing goes away

i have put in a ticket for it, will post what the creators say when i hear back from them in case anyone else is having this same problem

10. calixarene

calixarene New Member

I have exactly the same problem for the same x86 ADVANCED PLUS board. I have also submitted the ticket. For your information, I can boot up with a live linux image by chance using the continue button (cannot boot up every time). I found that in the 32 emmc storage area there is a 2MB partition that has several files stored in it. I don't know whether these files are related to BIOS. When I try to install the image, a dialog box shown up and said that the BIOS was UEFI but now was configured to use old BIOS setting method and could not use BOOT Manager once install...... I finally abort the installation as the dialog box seems to be a warning message. I don't want to mess up anything and so I'll wait until UDOO team find out the problem.

TeMp3s7[^] likes this.
  11. Markus Laire

Those files can be safely deleted. In other thread someone was guessing that they might be related to the testing each board goes through. (If there is some kind of small OS installed for testing, then it could very well hinder installation so I'd actually suggest deleting all partitions on eMMC before starting installation.)

TeMp3s7[^] likes this.
  12. TeMp3s7[^]

TeMp3s7[^] New Member

obviously not happy that this happened to begin with but i am a little glad to see i am not the only one, hopefully that means something can/will be done about it.

@Calizarene let me know if you hear anything with your ticket

13. calixarene

calixarene New Member

Originally, I think the partition on the eMMC is something like the u-boot of sunxi-based systems. I am hesitate to delete them as one of the files' name has an extension of ".dat". Thanks Markus in pointing out that they are junk files.

TeMp3s7[^]
    I'll let you know if there is a solution posted by UDOO team. I think the last method is update the BIOS again with my fingers crossed.

TeMp3s7[^] likes this.
  14. calixarene

calixarene New Member

I found out the problem finally. It is the monitor compatibility issue. Some monitors cannot display the the sub menu though it can show up the UEFI button menu. If there was no graphic signal at all at the very first beginning, I would search for another monitor immediately. I found out the monitor problem before I upgrade the firmware from 1.01 to 1.02. However, the new firmware will not solve this strange issue.
    TeMp3s7[^], I think you had better to search another monitor to test with. I hope you can solve this issue with another monitor.

TeMp3s7[^] and Markus Laire like this.
  15. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

16. TeMp3s7[^]

TeMp3s7[^] New Member

confirmed, it was a monitor issue (i was using a small older Visio TV)

Thanks Calixarene!