Doesn't start, flashing green amber

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Maurice, May 11, 2017.

1. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

The second board I have is giving me some problems. I don't know what I did wrong, but after installation the startup screen of Ubuntu looked really wierd.

Unfortunately I now have a situation in which the board seems not to be starting at all. There is no HDMI output and the power led is flashing green amber.

How do I perform a 'back to factory' reset and start all over?

2. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I don't know how to do a factory reset without being able to access the bios, but try to remove the power cable and battery for a few minutes.

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

There's no "factory reset" (at least of the bios) on this board via jumpers or anything like that...

Some shots in the dark:

Have you tried swapping PSUs? (I assume you have 2 since you have 2 boards).

Check the heat sink and make sure it's seated properly and fully..

Um, double check nothing else is shorted... Maybe try powering on with NOTHING else attached or plugged in (no SSD, no Wifi, no USB, no video) see if you get some different behavior with the lights?

With the power on, try hitting the reset button (it's on the SIDE (not top) near the corner on the edge with just 1 USB port), kinda near the CPU HS.

Also, can not stress this enough gang, practice proper anti-static discharge protective measures when handling these boards!!!!

4. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

I left it lying around for a night, unpowered, RTS unconnected, now the board boots green, but no display whatsoever. I used the other power brick, I've switched HDMI cable to my TV and then to my "I'll eat anything' receiver, but no signal.

Notice that I had a garbled display, just as quoted by @walterlv in this post. Giving I have two of them and one was running fine yesterday I assume that my monitor is fine.

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

Try another monitor?

I know not the best solution, but at least it might let you tell if it's a problem with your board or just some incompatibility with the monitor...

I have a similar situation with my UP! Board - works fine on my Samsung TV, won't work at all on an older Dell 1600x1200 monitor through an HDMI->DVI adapter, yet the Udoo, RasPi's, Asus Tinkerboard, etc. all work just fine on that adapter/monitor combo...

6. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

@mkopack, I tried my TV and my Home Cinema receiver, both no luck. I have opened a customer support ticket.

7. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

I'm starting to believe this board is dead.

8. John Kattenhorn

John Kattenhorn New Member

I just had a similar issue but hitting the reset button worked for me. Unplugging and plugging the PSU did not

9. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

"Enabled: enable Integrated Graphics Device (IGD) when selected as the Primary Video Adaptor.
    Disabled: always disable IGD.
    Warning: when the IGD is disabled, there will be no video output at all
    (unless there is an external PCIe graphic card selected as Primary Display) and restoring BIOS options to
    default values will be possible only by moving blindly in the setup menu"

Oh boy, might I have changed this when I had display problems? Can't remember, I didn't, didn't I....:eek::eek::eek::(

10. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

When I get home, I'll get you the key presses needed to enable this.

11. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

Here are the steps to change the video setting. Look farther down for alternate steps to reset the bios to defaults.

Press the power button, when the light turns green, wait about 5 seconds and press the ESC key once. Wait at least 5 seconds before pressing anything else. Side Note: I have the logo set to display for 5 seconds, but the logo does not display until after the initial 5 second wait. I have not tested if the 5 second wait is still valid if the logo is disabled (which is the default setting).

Press down once and right twice. Press Enter. This will get you into the bios.

Press right once. This will take you to the Advanced section.

Press down twice. Press Enter. This will take you into the Video Configuration section.

Press Enter, press up once, press Enter. The first option is HDMI. Just in case, we'll make sure it's enabled. If it already is, pressing up will do nothing.

Press down 3 times. Press Enter, press down once, press Enter. This is the Integrated Graphics Device setting. This time, the Enabled option is down instead of up. Not sure why they're not being consistent.

Press down once, press Enter, press up twice, press Enter. This is the Primary Display setting. We're making sure it's set to Auto just in case.

Now press ESC once, press right 4 times. We're now in the Exit section. The first option is Exit Saving Changes. Press Enter twice. First time selects to Exit and save, the second time confirms it.

Alternatively, here are the steps to reset the bios to defaults:

Follow the steps above to enter the bios.

Press left once. This will take you to the Exit section.

Press down 3 times, press Enter twice. This is the Load Optimal Defaults option. First Enter selects, second confirms.

Once either of those set of steps are done, the light should turn yellow right away, then green after just a few seconds. This will tell you if you were successful in following the steps and that the board at least works. Hopefully this helps.

12. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Nothing.

No change of color of LED.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  13. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

After playing around with mine a bit more, you can repeatedly press the ESC key for about 5 to 10 seconds upon turning on the board. I was originally afraid that hitting ESC while at the bios menu screen would exit out, but didn't test that until just now. Try that and then follow my steps above.

The only other thing that I can think of is to boot into either a DOS or Linux OS that auto flashes the BIOS. If I have the time, I'll see if I can set up an .iso image that you can put on a flash drive or hard drive. Updating the BIOS should reset all settings to default. This is assuming your board boots at all.

Otherwise, you may need to RMA it.

14. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

The issue I'm seeing is that the X86 will not display the BIOS prompt (nor any video) no matter how long I wait while pressing ESC after applying power. After two or three attempts to boot by powering down counting ten-seconds, and replying power, the X86 will finally issue the BIOS prompt, and all is reasonably normal from that point forward.

15. bodgyuk

bodgyuk New Member

I wonder if it is possible to attempt to SSH in (or similar) and see the BIOS remotely.

16. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

Unfortunately not. You cannot remote connect until you have successfully installed an OS, booted to the OS; and then set up the OS to support remote connection.

The sort of capability you mention is known as IPMI and is typically only available on server class motherboards in systems that are an order of magnitude more expensive than the UDOO x86.