Original UDOO Fan mounting screws

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by srohmen, Jun 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. srohmen

srohmen New Member

Hi users,

Finally I received my UDOO x86 ultra from pre-order, after a long time of waiting for it (about 9 month). In general I am still enjoying the performance difference compared to my old RPi.

I could read a lot about the missing screws for the M.2 SSD card. As far as I understood, the Udoo team assumed that the distance screw would come with the SSD chip. Unfortunately, my vendor did also not provide me any spacer screw and I have to look for it somewhere else...

But I was wondering what is the deal about the screws for the CPU fan. There were no screws for the fan included although I bought the original UDOO CPU fan. I rechecked four times all package and could not find any screw for it. As observable in the YouTube video[1] for mounting the fan, two long (metal to metal?) screws must be used for mounting the fan. Were the screws missing for my package or it is the same deal with the M.2 spacer? Can the UDOO team please provide information which screws at which size and material one have to use for it?

[1] around 0:25

Markus Laire and milaremi like this.
  2. milaremi

milaremi New Member

Seconding this request @Laura . 1 of my 3 fans just arrived without screws as shown in the video above. I'm ok with finding some screws at a shop, but I need to know the specs (metal on metal, plastic, length, 3mm, etc) as requested by the OP. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  3. Wilson

Wilson New Member

I received two separate UDOO x86 preorder shipments this week. Both had the SSD mounting hardware. If you still have the packaging that the UDOO box and the power supply box was wrapped in, look for a tiny clear plastic bag. It's easy to miss. If you threw away the packaging, you may have thrown away the hardware.

As far as fan hardware goes, I did not order the UDOO offering so I have no advice. Sorry.

Attached Files:

4. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

For the fan, I bought my own fan and used the small metal screws that came with it. I believe that they dig into the heat sink the way a screw would with wood.

5. srohmen

srohmen New Member

I did not throw away the original package envelope and rechecked once again without success. I just want to know if the fan was supposed to get delivered screws included. Since milaremi confirms that there were two sets of screws delivered in conclude that there was a mistake at one delivery to milaremi and the one to me. Shall I open a customer care ticket about that or it is already known by UDOO and I just have to wait? Besides of that, it would be really helpful to get the right screw sizes for people who wants to buy their own. Maybe some other user could measure theirs for us.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    milaremi likes this.
  6. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

My fan did not come with screws, I supplied my own from other project.

7. Patrick Gardella

Patrick Gardella New Member

I too did not receive any screws!

8. dominique

dominique Member

Glad to see I was not alone in not getting the screws.

Now what?

9. donmiller

donmiller New Member

I received my package yesterday, and was just assembling things today. No screws for me, either. I found that using two 4-40 X 5/8" screws worked. If you have 3/4" long screws, they would probably be OK too. Don't over-tighten,

10. rtsiedschlag

rtsiedschlag New Member

What fan did you get? Im trying to find a fan that will work for the board , but im not sure what size to get. Also, did your fan have the 3 pin connector that goes into the board?

11. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

The size of the fan is a 30MMx30MMx10MM, also the fan use a different connector than what most fan uses.

rtsiedschlag likes this.
  12. rtsiedschlag

rtsiedschlag New Member

How well does it sit on the heatsink? is the size similar to the one in the video? Can I get a link to the one you ordered?

13. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  14. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I bought one local at Microcenter. It was 30x30x10. It fit perfectly on the heat sink and came with screws. Just be sure to not over tighten the screws. It was a 3 pin, but you'll need either some type of adapter or cut the connector off and use 2 pins directly to the GPIO headers (you'll have an always on fan if you do this). If you want to make the adapter yourself, you can look here for what to buy and how to do it. https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/how-to-fan-adapter-cable.7081/

15. bodgyuk

bodgyuk New Member

I bought my fans from Mouser and Digikey, I don't have the part numbers to hand. The downside is that you have to pin your own connectors.

16. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I just received my pre-ordered UDOO with a fan and it included 2 screws. It looks like they've taken notice of the missing screws and are now including them.

17. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

Yet there is three holes for screws to go to :p

18. FastFreddi

FastFreddi UDOOer

Message from ticket on this issue:

• The fan, as listed in our shop, did not include screws. You can use your own screw of the following type:

2x M3 16mm self-tapping screw

Due to feedback from our community in the future we will include this item with the fan.

waltervl likes this.
  19. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Member

My screws were free floating in another baggie. I almost missed them, but went back for the delivery bag when I wondered why i didnt get screws...

20. Ethin E.

Ethin E. New Member

That is so brutal, screwing self-tapping screws into a heat sink. Isn't there a better way?