Want to install Windows onto Udoo x86

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Uberbot, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Uberbot

Uberbot New Member

Dear Forum

I want to install Windows 10 onto Udoo with the eventual goal of installing Microsoft SQL Server for an AI project (I am happy with SQL / AI but I need help with Udoo). I looked in the forums and can't find a 'Windows' section under the Operating Systems section. This is my first post so please go easy if I get anything wrong.

Q. I want to use Windows 10, I found this in the forums but it doesn't say how to install the ISO. Are there step by step instructions? Has anyone else installed Windows 10?

Q. I'm looking at Udoo x86 advanced plus with 32GB MMC storage and the power supply and fan and 7" screeen. Is MMC the same as an SSD drive, can I install Windows onto it? If not do I need external hard disks for the Udoo?

Q. Can I plug in standard mouse and keyboard into the Udoo's usb ports?

Q. I looked at the UDOO_X86_MANUAL.pdf file and it says the Udoo has hdmi port. For setting up Windows I can plug into an external monitor, but eventually I want to put Udoo into a smaller box. Can I use the 7inch HDMI / USB display as a normal screen? (I don't need a touch screen)

Q. Once it's working, if I plug in external USB drives will they be 'readable' from the Udoo (just like if you put a USB into a Windows PC)?

Apologies if these are basic questions. Udoo looks ideal for my project, but I want to be sure it works before spending too much time and money.

2. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

Look in the Resources section of the UDOO site. It has a section on Windows in the UDOO x86 documentation. There is extensive documentation there.
    if you have a USB DVD drive then you can burn the iso and load it that way. Probably easier is to use something like rufus to create a bootable USB stick. Since the UDOO is effectively just a pc you install Windows like you would on any other pc.

. No the eMMC is more like built in SD card - in other words it is quite slow. A m2 form-factor SSD can be plugged into the UDOO m2 slot, or you can plug a SSD or HDD in via the SATA port. Note that the UDOO only provides 5v power for SATA so if using 3.5” HDD you need to provide external power.

Yes

. You can use any HDMI (or display port) display. If using a usb one then if it works with a pc it should be fine on the UDOO.

Yes.

Basically the UDOO IS a pc so if you expect it to work on a pc you should expect it to work on UDOO.

3. Uberbot

Uberbot New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

OK I found the resources section, it says you can create a bootable flash drive (= USB stick?) and has videos, I will take a look.

Ideally the UDOO_X86_MANUAL.pdf would include a section on installing Windows. To me the great attraction of the Udoo is it's small, can maybe run from batteries and has enough power to run SQL Server.

It sounds like I don't want the 32 GB eMMC (SQL Server likes fast disks). I'm not familiar with m2 form-factor SSD, is this basically an SSD that plugs directly into the Udoo board? If so that sounds neat :) I would prefer not to have to add external disks / cables etc.

4. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Yes, here is an example from UDOO Shop: M.2 SSD Transcend MTS600

Note that there are different m2 connectors, for UDOO X86 you need "Key B" compatible SSD (faster "Key M" SSD:s will not work).

5. Uberbot

Uberbot New Member

OK, so I want to double check what I need to buy for a Windows 10 build:
    • Udoo x86 advanced (no point having the 32GB SD storage as it is slow)
    • Power supply EU
    • M2 SSD Transcend MTS600 (128 GB).
    • CPU fan
    • Acrylic case
    • 7 inch HDMI / USB display
    • For the Windows installation I will follow https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/windows.6430/
    • I can use the USB keyboard and mouse I have already
    My questions are:
    • Is this everything I need?
    • Is there a power supply with a UK flat pin plug?
    • Does the M2 SSD plug directly into the Udoo board, or does it need anything else (screws, connectors etc)?
    • Does the 7 inch HDMI / USB display have all the components it needs to plug into the Udoo?

6. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

UDOO shop doesn't seem to have power supply with UK plug, only EU or USA. You could try other shops.

M2 SSD plugs directly so no connector is needed, but you do need few screws to secure the other end: Screws and spacers kit for M.2 accessories mounting

If you want to use WiFi or bluetooth then you might want M.2 module for those: Kit M.2 Wifi/BT (or you could just use USB dongles)

The 7 inch HDMI / USB display does include USB & HDMI cables, but there is no mention of how it is powered so I'm not sure if you need something for that. Note also that there is no case available at the moment for the display.

7. Uberbot

Uberbot New Member

OK I can live with the non-UK plug - from reading other posts it seems any stabilized 12v 3A PSU should be OK. Also I will add the spacer kit and wifi kit to the list. Also once I have everything working I want to build it into a custom case so I don't mind about not having a case for the display.

How can I find out if the 7 inch display has everything needed? Am I the first person to use it :) ?

Also it would really help if the 'operating systems and applications' section had its own link for Windows. If Windows 10 works properly on it, that's a real benefit which should not be hidden on the website.

8. Mangasora

Mangasora New Member

Hi.I use Udoo x86 ultra with m2 ssd and windows 10.I have also installed Ubuntu, LibreELEC and Android.
    I use it as a desktop computer and as a media center.Everything works fine.

drc85 likes this.
  9. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

It is worth pointing out that the UDOO advanced only has 4GB RAM whereas the Ultra has 8GB. It is not possible to upgrade the RAM - it has to be part of the initial purchase. Whether this matters for the proposed application I am not sure.

In terms of the eMMC I think many people are using it to host an additional OS (e.g. Linux) in a multi-boot configuration.

10. Uberbot

Uberbot New Member

I don't want an extra O/S at the moment, if I have the eMMC storage in addition to the M2 SSD module, is it going to get confused as to what device to boot from? Sorry if it's a simple question, I have not built anything like this before.

Memory-wise 4GB should do, I aim to install SQL Server express which uses a max of 1GB for the buffer pool. In regard to the CPU speed, the Pentium on the Ultra only seemed a bit faster than the Celeron on the Advanced.

Finally I may post a 'kit list' of what to buy, in case it's useful for anyone else.

11. Uberbot

Uberbot New Member

List of what to get:
    • Udoo x86 advanced (no point having the 32GB SD storage as it is slow)
    • Power supply EU
    • M2 SSD Transcend MTS600 (128 GB).
    • Kit M.2 Wifi/BT (only if you want wifi)
    • CPU fan
    • Acrylic case
    • 7 inch HDMI / USB display
    • Screws and spacers kit for M.2 accessories mounting (one for the SSD and one for Wifi)
    Also download and install Windows 10 as described here:
    https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/windows.6430/

12. Eckmar

Eckmar New Member

@Uberbot - Just for Information: I use the UDOO X86 with 8MB Ram, M2 SSD, WiFi/BT and 7 inch HDMI / USB Touch display.
    The OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit installed on the M2 SSD and a 256 GB SSD on SATA mounted on the back of the Acryl case of UDOO..
    Windows uses, without anything running about 2,5 GB Ram. If you want to install a SQL Express on this PC, I think 4 GB RAM is a little bit to less. Everything else is working fine for me. I'm running Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 on this PC for developing Windows Applications using the Arduino Co-Processor. For Arduino development I'm using the VS2017 too. The touch display is too small for developing therefore I use the "Windows Remote Display" program and get the UDOO screen on my 50" 4K Desktop screen.
    The installation of Windows is very easy if you have a Windows Desktop PC. You can download the Image from Microsoft directly on a USB stick and take this directly to install Windows on the UDOO X86.

13. Uberbot

Uberbot New Member

Hi Eckmar, based on what you said the X86 Ultra is the way to go, for the extra memory and the higher performance CPU, and with the M2 SSD. My worry Is the CPU won't be powerful enough for SQL server (it seems less powerful than an i5) but the only way to tell is to try it.

The X86 Ultra comes with 32 GB eMMC storage, is this a problem? An earlier post on this thread said it was slow storage, so I wanted to install Windows on the M2 SSD and leave the eMMC storage unused. Is this possible?

14. Eckmar

Eckmar New Member

Hi Uberbot, ok the UDOO processor is not an I5 but for normal SQL Server use I think it's powerful enough. The eMMC storage you can use to store your installation files (SQL server, SQL management studio etc.) because this is not performance intensive when used. So you can keep free space on your SSD. In my case, the eMMC is still unused because I have an external SSD on the SATA connected. Maybe I will install a rescue Windows (unperformed) on this drive or a second installation in a different version or language or ......

15. Uberbot

Uberbot New Member

OK I have just gone ahead and ordered :)

16. Uberbot

Uberbot New Member

Everything arrived and I followed the five chapters in the GET STARED X86 setup guide. On the way I found:
    • When I downloaded the Windows 10 and Media Creation Tool, the goo.gl link in the guide is for Italian Windows 10. For English you want https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    • The first time I downloaded onto a new USB stick it failed to write with an unknown error. After reformatting the USB stick I could successfully download the Windows 10 image onto it. So you have to format the USB stick first.
    • I used an external HDMI monitor and I could install Windows 10 successfully :)
    • Unfortunately I have problems with the 7 inch HDMI display, I cannot get it to work with Windows and it shows strange patterns a bit like a Mondrian art work. Also Windows 10 won't let me change the screen resolution to 1024 x 600 before plugging it in (The display is not broken as it shows the Udoo boot screen, but I can't get it to work with Windows 10).
    Can anyone suggest how to make the 7 inch HDMI screen work with Windows 10?

17. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Did you update to the latest drivers?

18. Laura

Laura UDOOer

19. Uberbot

Uberbot New Member

I didn't update the drivers. I think the problem was, when I created my Windows 10 installation on the USB stick I chose something called 'Windows 10 S'. Windows 'S' is basically a locked down version of Windows that doesn't let you change the screen resolution. I re-installed using Windows 10 home edition and it correctly detected the 7" screen. So I got it working with Windows 10, my next steps are to build it into a smaller case, get some speakers connected and find a means of switching it on and off using a switch. Thanks everyone for their help!

20. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

On/Off switch can be done by using the front panel pins (also called Buttons/ LED header)
    See paragraph 3.3.6 of the user manual. And the user manual (different content than the online documentation!!) can you download from here https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Hardware_Reference/Resources.html