Question regarding the Serial0 and Serial

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by iseitani, Mar 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. iseitani

iseitani New Member

Dear all,
    I had successfully tested with an arduino uno board the serial communication using pins 10,11(uno) for an external device.
    After reading the schematics of the udoo neo, I connected accordingly the external device and modified my code(I was using the SoftwareSerial library) to Serial0 for the external device and Serial for the debugging interface.
    The problem is that the debugging works but I receive from the external module's library that it's not possible to communicate with the external device.
    Any suggestion?
    Thank you in advance!

2. Jefferson Cunalata

Jefferson Cunalata New Member

Your question is not clear at all. You are saying that debugging works, which means serial port works, so I don’t catch where is specifically the problem... could you give more information?

3. iseitani

iseitani New Member

Thank you for your quick reply, my question is that using the same code with the same wiring, given that the pins are the same, as UDOO states, shouldn't it work out of the box?

4. Jefferson Cunalata

Probably you need to activate that function in device tree editor, by placing a suitable UART in these pins (10, 11 but equivalent in udoo neo). After assign the UART function in the pins you will be able to use correctly, remember restart udoobuntu when save the new assignment in device tree editor,

If you dont know how to remap pins, you can read here: https://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Cookbook_Linux/Device_Tree_Editor.html

Let me know if it works.

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

6. Jefferson Cunalata

Your post should be fixed in the top of UDOO NEO topic, I am wonder why administration has not done that.

Gorgo and waltervl like this.
  7. iseitani

iseitani New Member

Hi waltervl, thanks for your reply, but your answer is not as helpful as in your post you examine something different(what works and what not, while I mentioned that I know that SerialSoftware doesn't work).

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

If you connected your external device to pin 0 and 1 (you are using pin 10/11) on the Neo Arduino and use Serial0 to communicate it should work. But Serial0 (and Serial) communication is known to be failing when sending a 0 byte (0x00) If your application or library is using this then you will have to change this yourself. A serial.flush() could solve it, see link.

There is no way to change the Neo Arduino Pins for Serial0. At least I do not know of a way.

If you have another issue not related to my answer than you will have to be more clear what your problem is. Perhaps also a communication error then? :)