spdif out

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Triodefreak, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Paede

Paede New Member

I opened a ticket at udoo support and was told to install linux to see if the spdif works.

I do not want to install linux!

I will try to install the drivers with hdmi audio deactivated. But I ordered a hdmi to spdif converter for easier use.

I am really disappointed with udoo support!

HDMI Converter Audio Splitter HDMI to HDMI SPDIF L/R Audio Video Extractor Converter with usb cable
    http://s.aliexpress.com/niEf6Vje
    (from AliExpress Android)

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

3. goldio

goldio New Member

...and this is a userfriendly way?
    Is there anybody who got SPDIF to work?

4. John Morton

John Morton New Member

I too would like the ability to plug in (preferably) an optical TOSLINK or coaxial cable to the SPDIF interface and would obviously be willing to pay should someone be able to produce some form of connector or add-on board for the UDOO x86. I will entertain whether an HDMI audio splitter device will be sufficient as a workaround for me, but - it's holding me back from purchasing the board at the moment.

5. GourouLubrik

GourouLubrik New Member

I guess (not tested) that the "most" userfriendly way of doing this is to buy a couple of dupont wire and a motherboard spdif output card like this:
    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/SPDIF-RCA-O...455279?hash=item1ebf6aa16f:g:whUAAOSwnHZYdPuD

It only needs 5v, spdif out and ground pin of your udoo.
    You can easily dismount the pci bracket.

And it's very cheap to do...
    I'd have prefered a transformer instead of a voltage divider on the coaxial out though.

Sjonno likes this.
  6. John Morton

John Morton New Member

Nice! That looks to be the best workaround until someone can produce something more idiot-proof which I could take advantage of! ;)

I appreciate your post in this respect. Cheers!

7. GourouLubrik

GourouLubrik New Member

Thanks, i'm happy to help.
    In fact, you don't have to buy dupont wire, there are invididual housing, you can just dismount the original 4p housing of the cable and reinsert 1p housing.

8. tothezenith

tothezenith New Member

has anyone had any further successes with SPDIF out on the x86?
    My amp receiver toslink in has died, of which I was using previously with hdmi audio pass-through via my TV to the receiver. It seems the previous posts of buying one of those spdif/toslink PC brackets is the cheaper alternative than fixing the receiver, so have just placed an order for one of them. However for the udoo side of things, has anyone successfully got spdif to be functional in using Windows 10?

9. Paede

Paede New Member

No luck till now.
    I tried ubuntu to see if it recognizes spdif but it did not.
    I‘d say spdif does not work on udoo x86.

Mabe that is why udoo provides almost no information to this topic ....

10. ingo

ingo UDOOer

I'm using a level shifter for bringing the 1.8V up to 5V and I tried several suggested ways to come up with a SPDIF signal - with or without a HEX-Inverter.
    I'm not even able to create a digital sync signal. The receiving device (RME Hammerfall DSP) does not lock to any clock coming from the UDOO X86 Advanced Plus. I'm not even talking about making actual noise.

I'm on Debian and the Alsamixer is set up correctly for sending and syncing with the software. All SPDIF options are activated in the Alsamixer panel. There is nothing in the BIOS except for activating the Azalia device and possibly the Arduino 101 (both are enabled).
    There is no separate setting for SPDIF.
    My BIOS version is 1.03. There is a BIOS update to 1.04 but no mentioning of SPDIF in the version history.
    I'll try updating tomorrow.

Can we have someone from UDOO or SECO urgently(!) confirm that SPDIF is working (or that even the signal pin is even correct - PIN 47 on CN12)? Right now we're in trouble with an upcoming hardware release here!

Thank you!

11. ingo

ingo UDOOer

For those who are interested:
    There was an error in the current BIOS (1.03 and 1.04) which disabled the SPDIF pin.
    The next BIOS version 1.05 will have this fixed. :)

ektor5 and waltervl like this.