Which Linux distro are you using

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by jfs10, Apr 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jfs10

jfs10 UDOOer

For those of you who are running Linux, which distro are you using and are you having any issues.?

I have read in a couple of different sources that Pop!_OS has great support for a wide variety of hardware. I was planning to run Fedora on mine when I get it.

Those have have the boards and are running Linux, please let us now how it is going.

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

3. Obfu

Obfu New Member

I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 and most things work smoothly, though I haven't had any luck getting sound to work even though the OS sees the hardware and lets me set levels. It took some digging, but I finally got the Arduino IDE writing to the on-board Arduino (which is a must for turning off that blinking yellow LED) but I haven't managed to get anything working via the groove connectors.

No trouble using Vulkan SDK or (linux) games from Steam. I've run a few via Wine with success as well.

I'm using usb-c power (an Apple MacBook brick); HDMI monitor; 16GB RAM; usb wi-fi dongle; usb hub for mouse+keyboard; booting via SSD on M.2.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Whats the problem here? Did you connect the Grove device to the correct Grove connector (Analog / UART / I2C) ?

5. Obfu

Obfu New Member

Not sure what the problem is, other than the example code(s) not doing anything with the groove devices I've plugged-in :-D

Looking at the Grove docs on https://www.udoo.org/docs-bolt/Arduino_Leonardo-compatible(ATmega32U4)/Pinout.html and the pinout diagram, it looks like:

Analog (Grove connector CN26) A0 is pin 11; A1 is pin 9.

UART (Grove connector CN27) TX is pin 4; RX is pin 2.

I2C (Grove connector CN28) clock is pin 6; data is pin 8 (and I'm not sure how pin 34 and 36 relate.)

All I've done so far is connect a few devices; load some Grove examples in the Arduino IDE; update the pin numbers to match; then see no response after flashing the board. It's very likely that I'm doing something wrong—but there haven't been many resources to turn to for help.

6. Zaf9670

Zaf9670 New Member

OpenMadriva just released a version specifically tailored towards the AMD Ryzen/Epyc platform. I'm not sure what performance improvements it may include. I also don't know if it will play nicely with the Grove and Arduino but it's something to keep an eye on.

I will probably try out Manjaro or MX Linux. Maybe PopOS as well.

7. jfs10

jfs10 UDOOer

Just got my board up and running last night. I install Fedora 30 on it. Everything seems to work. IT did not recognize the 32gb eMMC. I did read recently that Ubuntut is going to add more or better AMD APU support. I also keep reading the PopOS! appears to have great support for just about everything. Perhaps I will give it a try in the future.

Herbert Hotz likes this.
  8. Herbert Hotz

Herbert Hotz UDOOer

Hi jfs10
    Did you have any success with other OS you mentioned, i.e. PopOS!? As I - like you - intend to install Fedora 30.
    I am disappointed that eMMC is not recognized and do not know if Vega 8 is supported either.

9. jfs10

jfs10 UDOOer

The eMMC does not bother me. I was concerned about the gpu. Fedora is my preferred OS. This was one of the articles that also had an impact on my choice:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...e-across-9-distros-introduction/#1c3637224cf3

After reading it a felt that Fedora would be a good choice. My interest is in using the system for AI, not gaming. I have been using the system thus far for web app development. Between work and my side gig, I have not had time to really play with the system.

Fedora does appear to recognize the gpu. It will be a while before I try Pop, if I do at all.
    [jfs10@UdooBolt ~]$ lsmod | grep amdgpu
    amdgpu 3989504 10
    i2c_algo_bit 16384 1 amdgpu
    chash 16384 1 amdgpu
    gpu_sched 36864 1 amdgpu
    amd_iommu_v2 20480 1 amdgpu
    ttm 114688 1 amdgpu
    drm_kms_helper 217088 1 amdgpu
    drm 503808 7 gpu_sched,drm_kms_helper,amdgpu,ttm

[jfs10@UdooBolt ~]$ sudo lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12
    [sudo] password for jfs10:
    05:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] [1002:15dd] (rev 85) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] [1002:15dd]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 57
    Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]

Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=2M]
    I/O ports at e000
    Memory at fe600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    Capabilities: [48] Vendor Specific Information: Len=08 <?>
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [64] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/4 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [c0] MSI-X: Enable- Count=3 Masked-
    Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>

[jfs10@UdooBolt ~]$ glxinfo | egrep "OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Ryzen Embedded V1202B with Radeon Vega Gfx (RAVEN, DRM 3.30.0, 5.1.20-300.fc30.x86_64, LLVM 8.0.0)

I think Fedora will work for you just fine.

Herbert Hotz likes this.
  10. Failzor

Failzor UDOOer

Manjaro because antergos died

11. Herbert Hotz

Herbert Hotz UDOOer

Thanks jfs10!

12. marc.d

marc.d UDOOer

I'm an avid Slackware users since about 1995, so my Udoo Bolt V8 is happily running Slackware current at this very moment :)

13. jfs10

jfs10 UDOOer

It appears that the 32gb eMMC drive is now working in Fedora. I have not done anything with other than to format it as ext4. I noticed it when I ran gparted to resize a partition on a SD card. I have not done anything with the drive other than to format it as ext4.

14. Herbert Hotz

Herbert Hotz UDOOer

Hi jfs10,
    That sounds great - thanks for your update!

15. Herbert Hotz

Herbert Hotz UDOOer

Hi jfs10,
    Forgot to ask if you were able to boot fedora 30 from eMMC?
    Thanks!

16. jfs10

jfs10 UDOOer

Sorry, but I did not try that and probably will not.

17. Quotic

Quotic UDOOer

Manjaro is working great from eMMC. First time I thy this distro. Very Nice.

stecolumna likes this.
  18. Andy Carlson

Andy Carlson New Member

It may be that a kernel update fixed the eMMC issue. So until a refreshed boot dvd/iso is released, installing to the eMMC would be difficult.

19. robrecht

robrecht UDOOer

Which interface do you use on ubuntu to use the grove UART connector (CN27)?

20. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

The grove connectors are connected to the arduino side, you can not use them through ubuntu, unless of course you write something to translate to the usb serial of the arduino it self.

robrecht likes this.