HDMI is not working in UDOO Quad

Discussion in 'UDOO QUAD' started by Guilebaldo, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Guilebaldo

Guilebaldo UDOOer

Hello, after keeping it safe in a box for a couple of years....I turned-on my Quad-UDOO.
    I re-wrote the SD car with latest Ubuntu version from UDOO page. (14.04.5 LTS)
    I can not make the HDMI to work, I could connect the UDOO serially to my PC.
    I did "printenv" and I got this:
    Could any body help to make HDMI to work?

Regards,
    Guile

2. Guilebaldo

Guilebaldo UDOOer

Hello, I repeated the "printenv" but this time during the booting (I hit a key to suspende the booting).
    I got this:
    Any idea to figure out why the HDMI is not working.
    BTW, when I stopped the booting, the UDOO logo was held in the monitor.

Guile

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

5. Guilebaldo

Guilebaldo UDOOer

Hello watervl , I wrote it incorrectly....I actually installed Udoobuntu 2.2.0 image (latest from UDOO download page), but as I mentioned this do not send video signal to the monitor.
    I actually have read the "threads" about solving HDMI issues, for instance I checked the "uEnv.txt" file inside "/boot" directory; it was clean, without any default. I followed the instructions on and now the file has:
    video_output=hdmi
    I see the UDOO logo in the screen during a half of a second, and then the monitor goes black.
    Any other suggestion?

Regards,
    Guile

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

A lot of old forum threads and instructions are based on old Udoobuntu images.
    So if you use an out of the box Udoobuntu 2.2.0 image then HDMI output should work directly. If not try another monitor (TV?) and/or cable.

If you can connect to the Udoo with serial you can also check with the udooscreenctl command as mentioned earlier what is the setting. Also try to get the web control page if you connect through a netwerk connection.

7. Guilebaldo

Guilebaldo UDOOer

Using the command:
    Code:
    sudo udooscreenctl get
    It gives: hdmi
    I also looked for the "edid.txt" file of the monitor.......I found it, and I placed it inside "/etc".
    I tried the patches:
    Code:
    setenv hdmi_patch udoo_hdmi_force_hpdetect udoo_hdmi_force_edid

saveenv
    boot
    But it did not work.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks a lot for the advices,
    Guile

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Did you try another cable and/or monitor?

9. Guilebaldo

Guilebaldo UDOOer

Hello, I was busy with a lot of work and I put it on-hold my task to revive my UDOO.
    waltervl , I realized that my only HDMI cable is a HDMI-to-DVI cable because both of my monitor have only VGA and DVI inputs.
    So, I changed the monitor (Samsung instead of the LG) but I could not change the cable.....the issue still there.
    I used this HDMI cable and monitor for my work-laptop, I have never had issues with them (as a side comment).
    I´m sure I worked with this UDOO some years ago, I could install linux-image from then......I do not remember if I had a different cable- or monitor.
    Any other suggestion you might have?

Thanks a lot for the advices.
    Guile

10. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I do not know if you have a normal TV somewhere around where you can attach your Udoo to with a normal HDMI cable? Normally the Udoo Quad will work with HDMI out of the box. You can access the Udoo through remote so it boots properly from a non changed Udoobuntu (are you sure?) It then is hardware related and first suspect is the cable.

11. Guilebaldo

Guilebaldo UDOOer

Hi waltervl , it finally worked!
    I connected the UDOO to a regular TV (Sony Bravia, old also) with a HDMI-HDMI cable.
    It showed the desktop (I think is the new one because I did not remember it that way).
    I need now to figure-out if the issue is the HDMI-DVI cable or my monitors (or both :( )
    Due to my monitors just have DVI and VGA inputs, I will get an HDMI-VGA connector (I saw a cheap one in Amazon) with a VGA cable already have.
    I´ll let you know the outcome.
    Thanks a lot for the patient advices!

Guile

waltervl likes this.