Bolt v8 Doesn't Boot

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by anlumo, Sep 2, 2019.

1. anlumo

anlumo UDOOer

Hi,

I have some troubles getting my Bolt V8 working. I have installed 2x KSM24SES8/8ME RAM and am using a AUKEY PA-Y12 power supply.

Symptoms: I have an amber light when connecting the power supply. After pressing the power key, it does either two things:

* LED goes green, fan spins up for about two seconds, then it spins down and LED goes to amber.
    * LED goes green, fan spins up, nothing else happens

I have no video output. I've tried two screens with two different cables that are confirmed to work with their corresponding screen. I've also tried a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.

The BIOS reset switch is in the correct position. If I have it in the wrong one, it cycles power (which corresponds to the description on the wiki page).

Is there anything else I can try, or is this just a dead board?

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

The RAM ( KSM24SES8/8ME) you used is an ECC RAM.
    Please use an ordinary DDR4 RAM as people here had confirmed working type.

3. anlumo

anlumo UDOOer

Thank you for the reply!

The post here confirms that KSM24SED8/16ME is working, which is the same RAM series, but 16GB instead of 8GB. It's not exactly the same, but very close.

Unfortunately, I have no fitting non-ECC RAM here to test, I'd have to order it.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

5. anlumo

anlumo UDOOer

Thanks for the idea, I've ordered a 19V power supply to test this, it'll take about a week to arrive (I couldn't source one locally with that weird power connector).

6. nophead

nophead UDOOer

I had exactly the same symptoms because the BIOS does not output anything on my Asus monitors. The board was actually running though and would boot a Ubuntu live image from a USB drive and then the monitors work.

7. anlumo

anlumo UDOOer

I had a boot drive plugged in, but still nothing was showing up on the screen.

8. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Oh and I had to use an official UDOO HDMI cable because it didn't work with a normal one that works on other SBCs, including UDOO quad.

9. anlumo

anlumo UDOOer

So, I finally got a 19V power supply (this one) and the Bolt boots! I can even access the BIOS screens and everything.

So, I can now confirm that my 20V/3A USB-C power supply is not enough to boot it.

waltervl likes this.