Unable to enter BIOS - no POST screen shown

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Kevin Sears, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Kevin Sears

Kevin Sears UDOOer

I have Linux installed on the mmc memory. it works ok. I have a 1Tb SSD installed with Win10 installed, but cannot enter the bios to set teh boot drive to the SSD.
    Ive reset the Bios a couple of times and stil no POST screen.
    Any help?

2. Hal

Hal UDOOer

Look on the Linux Grub screen and see if the last option is to go to the bios. It’s not worded quite that way, but if you see something that is not a Linux kernel, use the arrow keys(quickly) to navigate to it and press the enter key.

3. Kevin Sears

Kevin Sears UDOOer

Hi All. now back onto the Bolt. i have installed Grub Customizer and set the first boot item to the system setup/UEFI.
    i still cannot get the POST screen to show on startup.
    i have a 1TB SSD attached which has Windows installed, but cannot select it as a boot drive.
    any more advice?

4. Kevin Sears

Kevin Sears UDOOer

It's now solved.
    The issue was with the screen not showing the POST screen giving the Impression that the Bolt had frozen.
    Solution = new screen.

5. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Yes there is something wrong with the Bolt BOIS that means it doesn't POST on some perfectly good monitors. It only works on my TV. Once booted into Ubuntu it works on my monitors.

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Do you have experience with other motherboards that the UEFI will always be diplayed on external monitors?

The Udoo X86 has the same issue. And in the research of that issue I found out that other motherboards have the same issue, see Udoo x86 Ultra: no video output. For laptops it is normally no issue because the hardware manufacturer can link those together. For external monitors it looks like it allways have been an issue.
    So stating something wrong with Udoo UEFI is perhaps not fully correct. Something wrong with UEFI could be a better statement.

7. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Maybe, perhaps none of my other devices use UEFI. Looks like a big step backwards to me because I never had a device where the BIOS could not drive the monitor but it worked with the OS. It is not as though my monitors use an odd resolution, they are 1920x1080 60Hz native which is standard Full HD.

There is also the issue that the Bolt is picky about the cable as well, indicative of a hardware problem as the cables work on everything else.

Someday if I get bored I might hook up a scope and logic analyser to see what goes wrong.