BIOS upgrade timeline for fan fix ?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Erkki, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. falstaff321

falstaff321 New Member

Beside the noise I experience the problem that the Fan stops again after a certain temperature (what @marc.d mentoned in this thread: https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/fan-unit-not-always-activated-when-temperature-raising.29504/). And this seems to me a safety issue, e.g. it probably really can damage the board. I let it once rise to 103°C, maybe it does an emergency power off somewhen, but I really did not want to go there...

2. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

@falstaff321 please open a ticket, the fan stopping is not ok!

3. Micka41

Micka41 UDOOer

We have been waiting for the bios correction for the fan speed for more than 2 months.
    You can't say you're fast!!!!!!

4. evaloverde

Ciao Micka,
    unfortunately, it's taking more time than anticipated. We're not being fast, but we're working as fast as possible.

rdslw likes this.
  5. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

Even with the ticket my problem is not resolved, it's been more than a month since I open the ticket and they haven't responded to me, they just keep on stating that the shipping is on their expense, lol. Yeah because the bolt was free of charge and the fan not working is my problem to fix.... A product was sent not working, I expect them to respond. And what I receive is, no communication and a lot of excuses.

6. Lars

Lars UDOOer

@evaloverde Is there an update?

Since you are not able to provide any means of firmware updates and the firmware you have provided on early boards is broken I am asking for a board replacement, since it is the only way to get a working board. How do you want to proceed?

Thanks

nophead likes this.
  7. Jerry Snitselaar

Jerry Snitselaar UDOOer

They might want to look at the acpi region reporting for the tpm2 device:

[ 2.196332] tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. [mem 0x9d76a000-0x9d76afff flags 0x200] vs 9d76a000 4000
    [ 2.196386] tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. [mem 0x9d76e000-0x9d76efff flags 0x200] vs 9d76e000 4000

Zgembo likes this.
  8. papa4narchia

papa4narchia New Member

Yeah, that indeed would be great. Currently that is the whole point for me waiting on this update.

Sadly that speaks for itself: the whole experience of an otherwise promising product ruined by the flaky implementation of a fundamental feature like cooling. The Bolt is lying around as useless paper weight on my table for months now, because I cannot stand the obnoxious noise of this thing.

Currently I am loosing confidence to have this sorted out soon, as there is not even a timeline provided for when this should be solved.

9. Hotte

Hotte UDOOer

Is there any progress for the fan issue? I have the UDOO running in quite a noisy environment but still the constant on and off of the fan is super annoying and we had to switch off the UDOO for now because it was driving people crazy (I am not even kidding). This is not a small problem! Can you please fix it as soon as possible?

10. Hotte

Hotte UDOOer

According to this review adjusting the temperature threshold in the bios should help. However, I cannot find this bios entry (which according to the author of that video should be found under embedded settings in the bios - I don't see that entry).

11. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Some boards were shipped with a later BIOS. This is why it is even more crazy that BIOS version has not been made available for those of use who got early BOLTs.

Zgembo likes this.
  12. rdslw

rdslw UDOOer

I can confirm that this setting in BIOS, does NOT help it. I tested it with both supplied fun, and a brand new noctua (which costed 20% of the udoo bolt :)

Anyway, I'm still waiting for bios update, without new firmware, bolt is not a great product :(

13. Zgembo

Zgembo UDOOer

Not only crazy, but totally disrespecting. Some of us are capable and willing to risk flashing newer BIOS on our own, yet Udoo-ers are completely ignoring calls to share the existing (and already pre-flashed with certain batch of boards) versions with very people who helped this project exist in the first place. Perhaps someone can dump the latest BIOS binary and share?

I myself here keep my Bolt in a drawer for months, fan behaviour in its current state (1.04rc BIOS) makes bolt impossible to stand in any place where people with a healthy sense of hearing live.

Come on Udoo, do the right thing, shere the damn BIOS, in increments, there are already multiple versions out there, we can't wait for every little detail to be fixed, forever...

rdslw likes this.
  14. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

In case anyone is interested I tried the Gelid Silent 6 fan on my Bolt over the weekend. Despite it being rated as a 12V fan it seemed to work fine off the 5V supplied by the Bolt fan connector. On my system the CPU temperatures are about 10C higher than with the supplied fan but since even under heavy load the temperature only gets up to ~70C this seems reasonably within tolerance. The fan is completely silent which is its big plus point. It is also JUST thin enough at 15mm to fit within the metal case (which surprised me as I thought it would be too thick) which is not the case for other quiet fans that have been discussed which tend to be 25mm thick.

nophead likes this.
  15. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Interesting. I have one of those on my 3D printer. I might do a swap!

16. linkhuntertwo

linkhuntertwo UDOOer

I'm just waiting for the rest of my cables gonna do DIY adapter then ordering a new fan for it also that Gelid Silent 6 look interesseret but I think noctua better in long run

17. evaloverde

Hey guys,
    still no news on the BIOS. Earlier this week the team that is working on the BIOS shared with us a beta version and allowed us to share it with you. If you're interested, please share with me your email address privately.

Thank you

18. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

Hey do someone has the .zip of the bios sent via email, the page is not working, please send it to me i want to test the firmware.

19. evaloverde

Ciao Xey, the tech team is on it!

20. Micka41

Micka41 UDOOer

Don't get excited about the new bios.

It is very, very slow: my Bolt takes 2 minutes to start whereas before in less than 30 seconds Ubuntu was available.

For the fan, it is always 100%...

In short, very disappointed.