Using a Graphics Card?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by SolidGoomba, Apr 18, 2019.

1. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

A few updates ago there was this post: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...he-maker-world-to-the-next-leve/posts/2472994 .

But pretty much no information on how they achieved the set-up. Can anyone on the UDOO team provide details? Specifically connection to board and what's needed to power the graphics card?

I realize only a handful of us backers have our hands on hardware, but if anyone has taken a stab at this already, care to share your setup or even what you've tried so far?

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

I like this inexpensive approach. The adapter card (later version now supports 4-lane PCIe in key-M slot) is less than $8 shipped.
    https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/my-mega-thread-on-regular-sized-pcie-slot.7045/
    You'll have to supply 12V.
    Regarding power supply, these is no fixed answer. A PCIe card can consume from less than 5W (e.g., SATA card) all the way to 250W (in a high-end graphics card.)
    For BOLT, you'll definitely need to get a 12V source somehow, since BOLT itself uses 19-20V.

SolidGoomba likes this.
  3. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Supplement to post #2 inexpensive adapter board:
    For M-key, just use as is.
    For B-key, need to cut a slot.

There are other methods which fall under the pattern there is a small card fits the M.2 slot, then a tether cable, to bring the signal out to an external slot (a popular choice for graphics/eGPU cards.)
    The price varies from $20 to $150, depends on "how you got excited about the scheme".
    (Some will tell you that paying a $7 adapter to go with a $800 fancy graphics card is the wrong way...)

In the end, they are all doing the same thing.

SolidGoomba likes this.
  4. Rskousen

Rskousen UDOOer

I have a functioning setup right now using the bolt, an M.2 to PCIe 4x adapter, and an AMD RX 570. Playing Assassin's creed Odyssey on Medium at 1080p with 45-50 FPS.

Here's my parts list:

everything seems to work - except when I am pushing the GFX card hard I am seeing my network cut out. Really bizarre. I wonder if Saturating the PCIe 4x channels is hogging from the other PCIe interfaces

Back.jpeg Bolt_PSU.jpeg PCIe4xPlug.jpeg RX570.jpeg

evaloverde and SolidGoomba like this.
  5. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for sharing your setups guys, we love to see our new creation in action! Just in case the issue hasn't be resolved yet, I'd like to redirect you to the newly published online documentation, available at https://www.udoo.org/docs-bolt/Introduction/Introduction.html

The official announcement will be released later today in an update.
    Enjoy!

6. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

Thanks to both of ya'll for the responses, I feel a little over my head, but after doing a bit of research (thanks for the exhaustive x86 posts!) and studying your set-ups I've gone ahead and ordered some inexpensive boards like ccs_hello used. Am I wrong in concluding that the only real difference between what ccs posted and what Rskousen is using is the form factor?

7. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

These are just signal extenders. Longer cable needs better shield.
    Some extenders only extend 2 lanes of PCIe signals and some 4. Cheaper one only has one lane.
    Lots of them are based on form factor decision (such as want the GPU card "lives" in its own chassis as opposed to "on back of the UDOO board itself".

8. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

@Rskousen , did you have any issues getting the board to recognize the graphics card? I went with an RX 580, but I don't see any indication in the BIOS or windows that it's detected. When I check the NVME in the BIOS I don't see any indication that the card is recognized. I've tried turning on external graphics and disabling the onboard, graphics, but don't get any single from the board or card's HDMI out.

EduM likes this.
  9. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

Got it working, now working on a case build.

EduM and evaloverde like this.
  10. WisdomWolf

WisdomWolf UDOOer

Can you share what you did to get it working so that others who run into the same problem can benefit from what you learned?

Zgembo likes this.
  11. Rskousen

Rskousen UDOOer

Hey - been away for a while. Happy to collaborate on getting someone's setup working. I finally got to a good place with my setup - was having issues with the network performance when I was using the external card/adapter, but that seems to have resolved itself (mysteriously - which is very frustrating).

Generally the setup I documented above is what is working fairly flawlessly now. In an effort to overcome the networking issues I tried the EXP GDC v9.5 adapter, but could never get the card recognized, so went back to the R42S adapter.

evaloverde likes this.
  12. Tegan Scott

Tegan Scott UDOOer

Nice build!
    I'm looking to do the same thing with the Gigabyte GTX 1660 mini. I'm trying to make the setup as small as possible which brings my focus to the power supply. The udoo bolt runs on 19V and the GPU on 12V. Is there any way to get around having 2 power supplies?

13. Rskousen

Rskousen UDOOer

yeah, not super cheaply, but I was eager to have the build as small as possible, too. I actually found a car power voltage adapter that had the right specs to be able to come off of the PSU (had to splice into a 12v PWR and GND):

BiXPower 12V to 19V and 5V USB Mini Size High Efficiency 90W DC to DC Power Converter DD90M-19V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P5DCKEQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lbq6DbMB684Q7

And this to go to the DC in on the Bolt:

Pwr Adapter 7.4x5.0mm to 4.5x3.0mm Tip Connector Converter K0Q39AA for Hp Pavilion Envy Elitebook Probook Spectre Compaq Presario Dongle Barrel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TIUI3U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gdq6DbHW1BDGM

Hope that helps.

14. SolidGoomba

SolidGoomba UDOOer

It's been a good while, so memory is a bit hazy, but iirc it was due to my gpu having a generic name in the Windows Device Manager which I mistook for the onboard graphics, so it was a matter of enabling it there.

15. Creative_UDOO

Creative_UDOO UDOOer

Hey Rskousen,

Where did you get that PC Case from?

16. Rskousen

Rskousen UDOOer

https://www.geeekstore.com/shop/a50-plus-mini-itx-case/

Really like it, but it is a little pricey for a plexi-case. It has an aluminum frame and it is very sturdy and well-designed. It did require drilling some extra holes and a little Dremel work to get the Bolt to fit, but it has been a nice setup, all things considered.

17. Deluxe

Deluxe UDOOer

How do you control the power-supply? It seems like you are using SFX power-supply which is usually controlled through ATX 24pin. I'm bit stuck at how to switch between standby and ON states easily.

18. Rskousen

Rskousen UDOOer

I wish I was doing something smarter, I am not. The PSU is switched on, I have a jumper between two pin positions to basically have it always on, and then power is running from one of the SATA cables where I spliced in the12v->19v transformer. Nothing overly clever.

if you can figure out how to get signal from the board to control state of the PSU PLEASE let me know. Right now I have a case fan and the CPU fan running straight from the PSU, so I also have to flip the switch if I want to stop the fans from spinning.

I just updated to the 1.07 bios which should allow my CPU fan to be controlled by the board. Going to do some testing this weekend.

19. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Re: how you control the ATX Power Supply
    Turn on the ATX Power Supply by grounding the green-colored PS_ON# wire in main ATX connector. atx_pinout.gif

20. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Re: post #18

You'll need a separate, independently powered embedded controller (e.g., a standalone inexpensive Arduino Pro Mini, itself feed by +5VSB power from the ATX power supply) to be your "PC"'s power_control apparatus. Use one of Arduino's IO pin to control the PS_ON# signal.