UDOO BOLT Front USB port malfunction

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by fxlevy, Feb 26, 2020.

1. fxlevy

fxlevy UDOOer

Hello, I have a UDOO Bolt V8 with 1TO NVME (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07MBQPQ62) card and an INTEL 9260AC WIFI+Bluetooth card (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07Q2H1RM1). I installed a Ubuntu 18.04 LTS system. The WIFI of the Intel 9260 works perfectly at full speed but the Bluetooth part is not detected at hardware level. After a lot of forum readings i decided to buy and install a USB Bluetooth Dongle (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B009ZIILLI).
    When i connect the Dongle on the left Frontal UDB connector, i have a small blue light but the Dongle is not detected by the system and doens't work. If I install it on the right frontal USB connector, the Dongle is detected and works fine. The problem is that I also have a USB Keyboard and if I connect it on the right USB connector, it works, and on the left USB connector it doesn't. So I have two USB devices to connect and only have one USB connector that works properly.
    How could i check if there is a hardware problem on my Udoo Bolt concerning the USB connector? or is there a modification to apply ont the BIOS to have both USB connectors working correctly?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Do a
    lsusb -vv to check if all those USB ports are present from system device point of view.

(The idea is to make sure there is nothing in BIOS setting that disabled that specific USB port.)

Hate to say it, anything that is firmware or software bug in nature is easier to fix than a burnt hardware...

evaloverde likes this.
  3. fxlevy

fxlevy UDOOer

Thanks for the response @css_hello. Here is the result of lsusb -vv command line on attachment (lsusb.txt file).
    For information:
    - Nothing is connected on anyone of the 2 USB-C connectors placed at the rear of the bolt.
    - The Dongle is connected on the front left USB 3 connector. Which still doesn't work. :(
    - An Apple Keybord is connected on the front right USB 3 connector. This keyboard is also a USB Hub with 2 USB connector. An Apple mouse is connected on one of those connectors. The both devices, keyboard and mouse, works fine.

Personnaly, I am not able to analyse if the front left USB 3 is detected and operational by reading the output of the lsusb command. :(

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

evaloverde likes this.
  4. fxlevy

fxlevy UDOOer

I rerun the lsusb command in sudo to remove the 'Couldn't open device, some information will be missing' error messages. The result is in the lsusb.txt file in attachment.

Attached Files:

evaloverde likes this.
  5. fxlevy

fxlevy UDOOer

For information, I installed USBView. Based on the lsusb command and looking at the USB tree displayed by the USBview tool, it seems that all USB connectors are presents. I also restore the factory default using the 3-way switch. There is no change. The Dongle plugged on the front left USB port still displays a small blue light but is not detected by the system and works well if pluged on the front right connector. It's the same thing for the keyboard.
    Is there any action at BIOS level that could be configured to change the situation?

Thanks in advance for the help.

evaloverde likes this.
  6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Since you saw the port is listed from software point of view, I am afraid the issue is quite likely hardware related.
    Guess using an external USB hub is the easy way out.

evaloverde likes this.
  7. fxlevy

fxlevy UDOOer

Thanks for the answer @css_hello. I thougth they could be a BIOS setting that could change the way this USB port works.

evaloverde likes this.
  8. Rouleau

Rouleau New Member

Sure,you can do that.

9. fxlevy

fxlevy UDOOer

@Rouleau, thank'k to confirm my hypothesis, but do you know how to proceed and where is the configuration point?

10. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

evaloverde likes this.
  11. fxlevy

fxlevy UDOOer

Ok, thanks @waltervl for the answer. I will explore the doc and try to find out a solution. I hope I will understand it. ^^.
    Keep inform.

12. fxlevy

fxlevy UDOOer

I connected a USB-C hub on the back left USB-C connector. Then i connected the Keyboard and mouse on the Hub and everything worked fine. The dongle is also working on the Front Right USB 3.0 connector and the keyboard on the Rear Left USB-C connector. Everything was great until i installed XRDP. The installation was OK and the connection was also OK. But then the connected USB-C Hub didn't work anymore on the Rear Left USB-C connector. Then i reconnect it to the Rear Right USB-C and it works again but the Rear Left USB-C connector doesn't work anymore. So now, both Front Left USB 3.0 and Rear Left USB-C connectors are not wirking. I'm usre there is something wrong that happens during the BIOS or OS loading phase. How could I check that? I use an updated Ubuntu 18.04 LTS OS system.

13. m0j0

m0j0 UDOOer

14. Joven

Joven UDOOer

Hi need help here... I can't go to 192.168.7.2 i just follow the instruction from the video tutorial

15. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

That is only applicable for the Udoo Neo and Udoo Quad/Dual (see for example https://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Basic_Setup/Usb_Direct_Connection.html also for trouble shooting).
    Please make a new topic in the correct forum if you still have this issue.

16. Joven

Joven UDOOer

Thanks for the reply...yes i am using Udoo Neo dev board..i just follow the video to installl the needed driver but still can't access 192.168.7.2