BIOS BETA UPDATE 1.06RC04

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by evaloverde, Dec 19, 2019.

1. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

1. Hey guys, I forwarded the video and your concerns to the Tech Team leader. As soon as I get his reply I'll help you understand how to solve your issues. The best method though it's always to open a ticket.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

If hardware is broken --> Support ticket.
    If it is software installation/BIOS related please keep the solution on the forum as other users know how to solve it themselves. Saves you a lot of Support tickets (one of the reasons for this forum....)

3. Soul

Soul New Member

I have successfully updated via Windows 10 64bit

Flashing the BIOS went fine, however on the Windows "Restarting..." screen, I hit a BSOD - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

The UDOO continued to reboot several times as stated, and finally got back into Windows

Below are the things I have noticed since updating:

Boot times are taking way longer - I had to wait about 1m before I could even enter the BIOS
    BIOS - Some area's take an extremely long time to enter/exit - E.g. Hardware Info, upon selecting this option, the BIOS freezes for 20+ seconds
    Fan - Since updating, the fan never idles at all, full tit is its only option

I'll post any additional observations if I notice anything else

4. evaloverde

CIao Soul, thank you for the thorough feedback, the slowness you've noticed it's normal when the BIS is first installed. It might actually still be installing, because there is no visual feedback on the BIOS progress. If the behavior continues for more than a few days, please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Eva

5. Peter Smith

Peter Smith UDOOer

Is there any update as to when the formal release of the BIOS will be available (and what issues if any might be addressed)

6. Glen Murphy

Glen Murphy New Member

FYI for anyone trying to debug their new Bolt - after applying the BIOS update via the Linux method, everything was terrible as described here (long boot times, same fan issues) until after I physically unplugged the UDOO instead of soft-rebooting. Now the fan seems to kick in at a lower speed at the temperatures I set, and sudo reboots take seconds again. I guess a full proper power cycle was needed.

7. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

I'm experiencing the same issue, the fan stays on after I turn off the Udoo Bolt, the USB C performance is awful, and with the new update my M.2 seems to be bottlenecking.

8. evaloverde

We do not recommend this. This could have damaged the board. Luckly, nothing happened.

9. evaloverde

Please be patient. This update lacks visual feedback and requires a few reboots (that are going to be extremely slow) before it is completely installed.

10. Glen Murphy

Glen Murphy New Member

This was a regular shutdown followed by the removal of AC power (if that's not OK, there are bigger problems :), as opposed to just sudo rebooting (which caused the problems to persist)

11. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

I have no issues when the Bolt is loading I have the last bios and I notice a performance drop with M.2 and not with SSD, The USB C is giving me trouble, and the fan kept turned on when I shut down the bolt, and it is the fan you guys sent me to replace the defective one which arrive at first with the bolt.

12. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

I have no issues when the Bolt is loading I have the last bios and I notice a performance drop with M.2 and not with SSD, The USB C is giving me trouble, and the fan kept turned on when I shut down the bolt, and it is the fan you guys sent me to replace the defective one which arrive at first with the bolt.

13. evaloverde

@Glen Murphy oh sorry, my bad, I thought you just unplugged the board while the new RC was installing. I don't know if removing AC power had anything to do with it. Right now the team is "smart working" e.g. working from home because of the coronavirus, so I'm not sure we'll be able to test this until we come back to the office. I'll ask anyway

14. evaloverde

Ciao, have you updated your ticket? This is the kind of stuff they need to know to help you address the issue.

15. OlivierP

OlivierP UDOOer

Windows boot time became long. In reality looking at the event viewer
    I upgraded as well and I´m facing a few issues:

1) boot time takes few minutes for windows10 to boot on nvme.

2) In the event-viewer this new error popped up

Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.

3) an unknown device is seen in device manager... PCI bus 5, device 0, function 7

4) FAN management is worse than the stock bios. Its either on or off. Cant it be throttled?

Thanks

Oli

16. OlivierP

OlivierP UDOOer

on top of my previous message. with this BIOS I see

Fan not starting - if I touch the blade it starts turning ( fans are not blocked in any ways

On this fresh install of windows10, I see regular

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000003, 0xffffc20d003b4d60, 0xfffff80677c678b0, 0xffffc20d03e62060). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 679c0d63-3222-45de-abeb-af6b717cb17a.

17. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Do you have a fan with a green dot? There is something wrong with that, see also https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/...tivated-when-temperature-raising.29504/page-2

Windows 10 on Bolt does not like the build in eMMC drive so you could try to disable it in Windows Device Manager : https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/regular-bluescreen.27839/page-2#post-57166

18. OlivierP

OlivierP UDOOer

Thanks. Yeah I've the green dot fan.....

I just disabled the eMMC in device manager.

I will open a ticket.

19. Richard Gomes

Richard Gomes UDOOer

I'm using the stock firmware and the fan works "reasonably well".

I've spent a lot of time trying different settings and observing the effect until I've finally found something which I can call "acceptable". The internal fan remains silent most of the time. There are no annoying loops distracting me from my work. When the fan starts, it remains spinning for some time an refreshes the CPU well, prolonging the time it stays silent until it gets hot again.

The are issues, though: sometimes the fan never kicks off and the CPU throttles. Then I have to reboot. Sometimes devices connected to USB-C disconnect or throttles. Sometimes the kernel emits strange messages. Sometimes the computer reboots without any apparent reason.

In any case, for whomever interested, these are my internal fan settings:

AC0 temp = 85
    AC1 temp = 75
    Temp Hysteresis = 3
    FAN Duty Cycle % = 75
    Speed Change Duration = 50

I hope it helps

m0j0 likes this.
  20. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Re: post 39
    The hardware stability issues typically are related to power supply quality.