BIOS BETA UPDATE 1.06RC04

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by evaloverde, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Artem

Artem UDOOer

I have been using the Bolt with a 65W USB-C charger and I do not own a 19V power supply. Will it be possible to update BIOS using USB-C when this or next update releases?

2. Xathian

Xathian UDOOer

The fan management options do not work for me. I have it set to this

AC0 temp = 80
    AC1 temp = 50
    Temp Hysteresis = 3
    FAN Duty Cycle % = 50
    Speed Change Duration = 50

But nothing changes, the fan only turns on when I get above 80C, when it's between 50 and 80 it sometimes makes a little "kick" like it rotates 5 degrees, but it never spins up to 50% like it's supposed, it just sits there until I hit 80C then it jumps to 100%

3. Xeyrruken

Xeyrruken UDOOer

I do not recommend you use the USB-C for bios update, if the Bios update includes an USB-C revision update it will be totally wipe out and then added again during the process, this could cause the system to partially lose power or have a voltage drop on the USB-C, update with the 19v port.

4. Quotic

Quotic UDOOer

I had the same problem. I created a ticket and Udoo replaced my FAN with a new one! This is working now better. I have only the problem, that the fan doesn't stop after Shutdown..

5. Xathian

Xathian UDOOer

Yep, thanks. Put in a replacement request and the new fan works exactly as it should. Quite impressed actually, I set it to run at 50% speed when under 80C and I can't even get the thing to hit 80C at all anymore, even when throwing VRay renders and Prime95 at it, the 50% fan speed (which is pretty quiet) holds it at around 65C at most.

6. PNO3

PNO3 UDOOer

7. PNO3

PNO3 UDOOer

after installing the update 1.06 listed on this thred I now have the option to change my fan settings in BIOS as shown in https://www.udoo.org/docs-bolt/BIOS_UEFI_and_Tools/Fan_Settings.html!!! A glorious win! I am a an early kickstarter purchase and before this update the Advanced --> Embedded Controller had no fan options. Unfortunately this update has slowed my boot time to more than 2 full earth minutes. Is there any fix for this?

8. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Hey PNO,
    unfortunately there's no visual feedback to the installation of the Update, and it takes a few shutdown for it to be completely installed. That's why the reboots have been slow. Be patient and in no time the update will be completely installed and it's going to be as fast as before (if not more)

9. Slea

Slea UDOOer

I've had my BOLT quite a while and just now getting it going, the reason I'm here is prior to installing an OS I was going to update the BIOS but see allot of differences from the instructions and the actual files. My BIOS is 1.04 and I have a green fan. I dont "think" I have a fan issue, it is running atleast. After reading all this maybe I should leave well enough alone and go ahead with the OS install. Recommendations?

10. Stefano Tognon

Stefano Tognon UDOOer

As I see that now the firmware is released from beta status, I try to install it for fixing the strange fan modality.

I did not have Windows in Udoo, but Linux.

If I try to flash the firmware from Linux I get an error about the kernel module driver (but if I read the PDF it is stated that with AMD card the firmware installer canno't go, so this error is expected).

If I try to use the efi procedure and provide the Shell.efi, I get: "Secure boot violation: invalid signature detected, check secure boot policy in setup".

How so can I flash the firmware? I expect it can read the firmware directly from USB, but there are no option to update the firmware from this kind of BIos.

Thanks

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

12. Stefano Tognon

Stefano Tognon UDOOer

Yes, version is the last 1.08 and I had on the udoo the bios released when first unit that where sended for backer users.

I'm using Fedora 32 in Udoo:

here the error:

[root@localhost 64]# ./bios_updater_x64.sh ../../../../BIOS/C4000000.108
    GHO BIOS updater - Linux 64 bit Version
    f - Error: Unable to make kernel driver.
    Please reboot the system

Thanks

13. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Fedora is a little bit different. Did you install the prerequisites (build essentials) as stated in the manual?

14. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

And use sudo to run the updater.

15. Stefano Tognon

Stefano Tognon UDOOer

I didn't like to use sudo in Fedora and I always configure it to use su with login as in the classical mode (in this case I was root).
    But now I got to check if I have all the build essential installed or only the part I use for compile my programs. Thanks.

16. Stefano Tognon

Stefano Tognon UDOOer

Just checked:

I had all of
    dnf install @development-tools

but missing some packages from:
    dnf groupinstall "Development Tools" "Development Libraries"

this makes some progress:
    [root@localhost 64]# ./bios_updater_x64.sh ../../../../BIOS/C4000000.108
    GHO BIOS updater - Linux 64 bit Version
    24 - Error: Problem allocating BIOS buffer.
    Please reboot the system

but still and error is raised.

17. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Could be a permission issue. But as you run it as root it is a little bit strange.

Perhaps make a Ubuntu Live USB, boot it and run the Bios update from that.

18. Phillip Fair

Phillip Fair New Member

I am trying to install the BIOS update on my Ubuntu Linux machine. I get an Error though...
    upload_2020-9-8_23-38-46.png
    Rebooting the system does nothing. I'm running Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. Any ideas?

19. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Are you updating to v1.08? That is the latest version https://www.udoo.org/docs-bolt/BIOS_UEFI_and_Tools/BIOS_UEFI_Update.html
    What is the command you are using? sudo ./bios_updater_x64.sh ../../../../BIOS/C4000000.108

Phillip Fair likes this.
  20. Phillip Fair

Phillip Fair New Member

That was clear enough for me... I have it installed now. Thanks.

If I’m running my machine hard, what are the recommended starting points for raising the Fan Duty cycle setting and lowering the AC1 & AC0 values?