Video hardware acceleration (not working on Ubuntu 20.04)

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Lator, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Lator

Lator UDOOer

Hi

I finally settled down and set up my Udoo Bolt. I have updated the Bios to 1.08 and succesfully installed Ubuntu 20.04 on it. After fully updating Ubuntu and installing the restricted extras for video codecs, I tried playing a 2160p-4k x265 video file and had constant very obvious stutters making the video unwatchable. Same result with a 1080p x264 video file. So I am guessing the video is being rendered solely by the CPU without any hardware acceleration from the GPU.

Should this be happening this way and is there any way for Ubuntu to use the video hardware acceleration of the GPU?

2. Lator

Lator UDOOer

Bump.

Nobody knows how to get hardware video acceleration in the Udoo Bolt in Linux? AMD advertises it in the description of the SoC.

3. TheVerse

TheVerse New Member

Do you have the va-api libraries installed? What information does the vainfo command produce? Finally, what program are you using to play the video?

4. Lator

Lator UDOOer

I do not know if I had the va-api libraries installed. I was using the default player from Ubuntu 20.04. I installed all the typical media packages that make video play fine in my computer.

I tried to look for a wiki page on how to enable hardware acceleration on the udoo bolt but could not. If it exists I would appreciate a link.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu is not in this system anymore so I can not test. I am interested in running Kodi through a VM. Any advice on what difficulties I might find to get video hardware acceleration?

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer