Boot Loop - Cannot update BIOS

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by moxy, Apr 4, 2021.

1. moxy

moxy UDOOer

My Udoo x86 keeps boot looping. I had Windows installed on the NVME drive. I've also tried booting to a live image of Ubuntu 20.04 and it loops as well. In the BIOS I've tried disabing the MMC and Currie but it still keeps rebooting.

I would ideally like to update the BIOS to see if that fixes the issue but all the guides I've found so far say I need to use a utility within Windows or Linux. Is there a way to do it directly from the SCU? Any ideas how to get it out of the boot loop?

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Sorry, wrong board. The Udoo X86 has no reset switch....
    But it has a function on arduino pin 9 to put the PC part to sleep.
    Another common failure mode is the SSD drive. What if you remove it and boot from a USB drive?

4. moxy

moxy UDOOer

The SSD was my first thought and I replaced it but it has the same behaviour. As stated in the OP, I tried a live image of Ubuntu and it still boot looped. I tried a Windows install drive as well and it got as far as the select the drive and it reboots.

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Did you try this:
    You can also restore the factory UEFI BIOS configuration with a simple procedure involving the RTC battery: when the board is NOT connected to any power source, unplug the RTC battery on the bottom side of the board and keep it unplugged for at least 1 minute. Plug the RTC battery again and power up the board, all the configurations should now be reverted to the factory defaults.

And did you try to boot from a USB drive without having an SSD drive connected

Also NVMe is not completely supported on Udoo X86. https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/some-experiment-on-nvme.20418/

6. moxy

moxy UDOOer

I reset the BIOS using the batty pull method and removed the SSD and it is still boot looping with a USB Ubuntu live image.

I also checked the SSD, it is an M.2 SATA SSD, not an NVMe, got it mixed up with my Bolt.

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer