The "green dot fan problem"... (Also some odd spikes in CPU temp readings?)

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by AlfUpaTree, Apr 20, 2022.

1. AlfUpaTree

AlfUpaTree UDOOer

Heya,

New Bolt V8 owner here having bought my friend's original kickstarter model from him. Was sat unused in the box for two years so still has the teething problems and hasn't been run hard or anything.

I have the green dot fan and original BIOS and thus have the On/Off only fan behaviour issue. Have opened a support ticket to ask about that but since then noticed that I *also* have the "no spin up" issue noted in this thread: https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/fan-unit-not-always-activated-when-temperature-raising.29504/

(See post 6 for a video, mine is doing exactly this but only intermittently.)

In addition to that I decided to monitor the temps using Coretemps (1.17.1) and generate a log file. I graphed that output and it shows random near instant jumps in temp from approx 40' to 50'C, these line up with the fan turning on. There is no co-occurring spike in CPU activity and all cores are tickling along at under 3% load in the sample in this graph...
    (See attached: temps in 'C / 1 second intervals, 7mins 50sec shown.)
    tempspikes.png
    So questions are:

What can explain these spikes in the readings? It makes me think the temp sensor cannot be trusted as this is surely outside the realm of physics? It cant be the heatsink temp that's for sure...

How best to resolve any of this? I had a good look on the forum and took in a LOT of info but didn't see an obvious actual solution... I'm reluctant to use the machine (which will be for video editing and encoding ideally...) in it's current state as this unnecessary thermal cycling can't be doing it any good and i'm worried I'll kill it entirely if I don't notice the fan doing its not spinning trick!

I wondered if an aftermarket solution could be to fit a completely independent temp sensor to the heatsink and a 4wire 5v PWM fan and controller and power all that off the arduino circuits? Seems heavy handed and a tech challenge I could do without, would be much better if the built in controller etc can be made to work properly!

Many thanks, this is otherwise an awesome little gadget :)

2. AlfUpaTree

AlfUpaTree UDOOer

(Update on the support ticket: Udoo have shipped a replacement fan, thanks! In the meantime I have experimented with the external Noctura fan mod that some others on here suggested and that is working well. Will wait and see how the replacement fan does!)

3. James Andres

James Andres UDOOer

Amazing tutorial! This is exactly the type of post we like to see on the tutorials board!

My Balance Now