UDOObuntu (Beta) is here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by delba, May 29, 2014.

1. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Big day fellas. We just released our official distribution: UDOOubuntu! It’s an incredibly fast and performant lubuntu 12.04 LTS armHF distro with full graphic acceleration and Arduino IDE with no serial and float issue.

We decided to release UDOObuntu in Beta version to allow you guys to test and improve it.

Dual and Quad images: http://www.udoo.org/downloads/#tab1
    File System: http://www.udoo.org/downloads/#tab2

Update: Since UdooBuntu is still in Beta phase, we are looking forward to receive your feedback and suggestions: we will publish the final release as soon as possible, following your suggestions. Let us know which utilities you would like to find as well, for example: Pure Data, Cloud9 Web IDE, Jack Server, Node.js, Processing... We will integrate the most requested ones, since we want to include the most demanded tools while keeping the distro lightweight.
    A nice feature of UdooBuntu is the integrated Remote Desktop VNC Server. To connect via remote desktop, simply download Real VNC Player ( http://www.realvnc.com/download/ ) and connect to UDOO's IP followed by :5901 . The default password is "ubuntu".

Enjoy

2. wwj

wwj New Member

Thanks dude! Downloading now... :)

3. dantavious

dantavious New Member

Hi,
    This image is runs very smooth thus far. Great Job!! My only complaint at this time is that wireless is not working. The wlan0 interface is not present automatically and even when I attempt to add the interface name to the /etc/network/interface, still no joy. No initialization of the interface in dmesg either. Can someone confirm that the quad image has wireless capabilities. Thanks

4. bpr

bpr New Member

Wireless and wired worked for me right off after setting up network connections

5. wwj

wwj New Member

First of all FAST! Great job!
    Then a couple of things...
    -LVDS 15.6 touch working well but the calibration touchscreen utility does not work. It opens a frozen LXTerminal with a frozen cursor. No interactions allowed. Can someone confirm?
    -Lubuntu Software Center does not open either. Not a big deal since there is Synaptic too..
    -Is there an on-screen keyboard I can use with this distribution?
    Thanks
    Walt!

6. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

Thanks for your feedbacks guys,

we've checked wifi and lvds calibration, everything seems to work well here. We'll make other test however.

we'll try an onboard keyboard, for the moment we haven't tested it yet. Indeed it's very usefull with an ldvs monitor :D

We need some help to choose the programs and the developer tools you would like to pre install in the final version of UDOObuntu official distro.

e.g: CodeBlocks, PureData, Cloud9 Web IDE, Nodejs, Bluefish etc.

Which of those IDE are you using or you used in the last Ubuntu 12.04 armel?

7. wwj

wwj New Member

I'd like to see PureData and Bluefish and the already installed python 3.2.. :cool:

8. Rick

Rick New Member

Messed a little bit around with the image and was mainly impressed by the boot time! Wifi works better now compared to linaro, however, synaptic still has problems with failed hashes occasionally.

My main use for the Udoo is as media player. Unfortunately I couldn't get any player (mplayer, vlc, totem) to work.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

What kernel version does this use? Also, what's the situation on drivers? One of my main complaints about UDOO is how every disk image only has roughly 30 drivers, whereas other platforms like the odroid offers over 900.

10. kenr

kenr New Member

How do you change system settings such as timezone?
    How do you manage bluetooth connections?
    Beta seems a little short of some utilities, or is it me?
    Ken

11. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

We use the same kernel branch as before, we added MIDI support and some DVB-T drivers. In stable release we'll add more drivers, I agree we're lacking on that. Furthermore we're developing an easy to use system configurator, please report what difficulties you have so we can implement easy setup for this functions.
    For those who are reporting, thanks for the feedbacks!

12. moorsb

moorsb New Member

Looks like you are off to a good start. I am unable to get the Lubuntu Software Center to work

13. va-matt

va-matt New Member

Great so far. So much faster than previous distros!

Can we get working iptables?

14. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

Hi, first of all congrats!!
    Good work!
    My brief report: I had problems with display settings. It set always 19200x1080 but I solved modifying /etc/x11/xorg.conf and adding
    Code:
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    under section "screen".
    Now I can select the mode from a combobox in Monitor Settings.
    Second, I can't change the default keyboard map set to US. I used
    Code:
    setxkbmap it

from command line.
    And last no audio from hdmi. My udoo is connected to an LG Smart TV. Using
    Code:
    alsamixer 
    I noticed that the gui doesn't report "Master" column for imx-hdmi audio card.
    Regards

15. nickw

nickw New Member

Speed increase is great. I have got various things working with Processing and serial devices, but more drivers would be really good.

I would like the C210x serial driver included so I could use the RPLidar http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/RPLIDA ... -1823.html with an udoo.

16. steveacca

steveacca New Member

I can not download or install anything I go to browser to download it says waiting for...I try to install from command line still can not get numpy to install and the program to get stuff I think it's called synpack or something like that only shows me stuff that is installed my wifi is connected?

17. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

18. rolly

rolly New Member

Thanks for this. It works real fast off my SSD.

I updated a couple of things with Synaptic (one was the Groovy java virtual machine language), now the Arduino
    IDE has stopped working - I launch it and nothing happens.

19. bert_harbinson

bert_harbinson New Member

I am impressed with the speed, really great!
    I would like to see Pure Data, Jack Server, Node.js and Processing included in the final version. Especially Pure Data! Although I was able to compile and run pd-extended on UDOObuntu, following the instructions from the forum(compile-pure-data-extended-udoo-t478.html). But I did not test any audio stuff just jet.

20. Ionut

Ionut New Member

I would love to see an upcoming version with the newer kernel, 3.10.17.