about case

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by onikage, May 21, 2016.

1. onikage

onikage New Member

Is there any picture for the "Acrylic Enclosure"?
    i will connect a laptop hard drive(2.5 inch) on udoo x86
    can or not add 4 hole on the enclosure for fixation the hard driver? thx.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

There's this picture, from the Kickstarter page -
    [​IMG]
    A 2.5" SATA drive would be external to the case, as the SATA port is located at the far end of this picture, on the underside of the board.
    UDOO will be sharing the enclosure design under a creative commons license, so you'll be able to add something for the drive to rest on. And then you might be able to get your custom design made at a local friendly maker/hacker space or fab lab, or if not, you can order online using a service like http://www.ponoko.com/

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  3. jonthe838

jonthe838 New Member

If you look at the picture, there seem to be 4 screws connecting the bottom part to the board and the board to the top part.

What you could do, buy 4 screws that are longer than the ones supplied and 20 or so nuts / a plastic pipe that you cut + 4 nuts + the four screws for the hdd. Drill four holes in the bottom part, put the hdd on the inside, screw it place and then take the long screws / bolts you bought, insert them down through the top part of the case, attach a nut to all 4 screws and secure the top part. Then attach another set of nuts so that the board doesn't touch the top part. Attach the board and secure it with one nut on each screw. Attach the next set of nuts further down on the screws so that you get enough clearing between the board and the hdd, and then attach the bottom part and secure it with the last set of nuts.

Or if you bought the plastic / pwc pipe, cut a set of 4 shorter parts and a set of 4 longer and use the shorter ones between the board and the top part and then longer between the bottom part and the board and then secure everything with 4 nuts at the bottom.

Skickat från min D6603 via Tapatalk

4. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

I would suggest adding a shelf under the standard case so that you don’t block the Arduino header extensions that come through the top of the standard case. You can have a piece of acrylic plastic sheet cut to size (or use parts from a second standard case) for the bottom, and use PCB standoffs like the ones shown below to interconnect the layers. That way you can make the lower shelf any height you need for drives, a battery power bank, etc.

caseadd.jpg
    standoffs.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  5. hrh1818

hrh1818 New Member

I saw an announcement today, June 9 2016, for a Udoo All In One Case. The announcement was for an upcoming Crowd Supply crowd funding campaign. No details were given. Just a picture showing a LCD display mounted in a case and most likely with room to mount a Udoo board behind the display.

6. Laura

Laura UDOOer

7. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

Personally, I would go with something like this (IRIS Portable Project Case) if I wanted a fixed function computer case with an LCD display.
    ProjectCase.jpg

You could easily mount the display in the lid, and the UDOO X86, drives, etc. in the base using PCB standoffs; maybe even a small keyboard. And it only costs $7.00 USD.

8. hrh1818

hrh1818 New Member

@Laura Yes your Crowd Supply link was on the spot. This case must be an old hat for you as the pictures in the second limk are 2 years old. It looks like the designer is recycling an old design.
    Thank you for filling in the missing pieces in my post.
    hrh1818

9. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

@hrh1818 could you share the link of the announcement? The project is also on Hackster.io, where the creator says is going on production soon. Personally I know nothing about a crowdfunding campaign.

10. Failzor

Failzor UDOOer

i would like to see something like this made for the x86 [​IMG]

Dirk Wouters likes this.
  11. hrh1818

hrh1818 New Member

@Andrea Rovai
    Here is a link to a page that contains many announcements for upcoming Crowd Supply campaigns. You will need to scroll down the page to find the Udoo case announcement.
    <https://www.crowdsupply.com/prelaunch>
    The picture of the case shown on Hackster.io website is 2 years old. With regard to availability the originator said in a comment 9 months ago "we will run the production soon".

The method used by Udoo to raise money on Kickstarter to design and build the X86 is commonly called crowd funding. So you may not know it but you already know a lot about crowd funding.

12. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Yeah, sure I know about crowdfunding :eek::p:D, I just don't know what project are you talking about. Are you maybe talking about this project? The link you shared is not working.
    By the way @Failzor , we are prototyping a case that is different than the one proposed in acrylic.

13. hrh1818

hrh1818 New Member

14. hrh1818

hrh1818 New Member

15. Triodefreak

Triodefreak Active Member

Pity. I quite like the look of the one you guys proposed.

16. Laura

Laura UDOOer

@hrh1818 If you would like to put brackets around a text link, use round brackets/parentheses, for example (http://www.udoo.org/). You can also select a word or words when creating your post, and convert it to a clickable link by clicking the chain icon on the reply menu.

If you are unsure how a post will look, click more options instead of post reply, and then select preview. Also, if you post a reply and you're unhappy with it, you can edit your post by clicking the edit button.

17. Failzor

Failzor UDOOer

Is the progress of that prototype shown anywhere?

18. toriless

toriless New Member

Error 400 "Bad Request"