Which Linux distro are you using

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by jfs10, Apr 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jfs10

jfs10 New Member

For those of you who are running Linux, which distro are you using and are you having any issues.?

I have read in a couple of different sources that Pop!_OS has great support for a wide variety of hardware. I was planning to run Fedora on mine when I get it.

Those have have the boards and are running Linux, please let us now how it is going.

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

3. Obfu

Obfu New Member

I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 and most things work smoothly, though I haven't had any luck getting sound to work even though the OS sees the hardware and lets me set levels. It took some digging, but I finally got the Arduino IDE writing to the on-board Arduino (which is a must for turning off that blinking yellow LED) but I haven't managed to get anything working via the groove connectors.

No trouble using Vulkan SDK or (linux) games from Steam. I've run a few via Wine with success as well.

I'm using usb-c power (an Apple MacBook brick); HDMI monitor; 16GB RAM; usb wi-fi dongle; usb hub for mouse+keyboard; booting via SSD on M.2.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Whats the problem here? Did you connect the Grove device to the correct Grove connector (Analog / UART / I2C) ?

5. Obfu

Obfu New Member

Not sure what the problem is, other than the example code(s) not doing anything with the groove devices I've plugged-in :-D

Looking at the Grove docs on https://www.udoo.org/docs-bolt/Arduino_Leonardo-compatible(ATmega32U4)/Pinout.html and the pinout diagram, it looks like:

Analog (Grove connector CN26) A0 is pin 11; A1 is pin 9.

UART (Grove connector CN27) TX is pin 4; RX is pin 2.

I2C (Grove connector CN28) clock is pin 6; data is pin 8 (and I'm not sure how pin 34 and 36 relate.)

All I've done so far is connect a few devices; load some Grove examples in the Arduino IDE; update the pin numbers to match; then see no response after flashing the board. It's very likely that I'm doing something wrong—but there haven't been many resources to turn to for help.

6. Zaf9670

Zaf9670 New Member

OpenMadriva just released a version specifically tailored towards the AMD Ryzen/Epyc platform. I'm not sure what performance improvements it may include. I also don't know if it will play nicely with the Grove and Arduino but it's something to keep an eye on.

I will probably try out Manjaro or MX Linux. Maybe PopOS as well.