Windows 11?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by itimpi, Jul 22, 2021.

1. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

Does anyone know whether the Bolt will be capable of supporting Windows 11? Has anyone tried it yet?

2. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

There will be a lack of drivers but there are tricks to install Windows 11 and I believe the Bolt can handle it, though did not tried it my self so it is just a guess. It supports both TPM and Secure Boot, and you can bypass some hardware requirements Microsoft placed mostly for security reasons.
    https://www.xda-developers.com/install-windows-11-unsupported-pc/

3. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

I checked my BOLT (currently has Win10).
    Device Manager showed there is a TPM 2.0 device.
    From BIOS setting, under the "Security" tab, there is a toggle to enable "Secure Boot".

4. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

I have successfully run Windows 11 under VirtualBox (hosted on Windows 10) on the Bolt. Not yet gotten around to trying it bare metal as the Bolt is busy doing other things that are not easily interrupted.

5. riri0

riri0 UDOOer

Yes and no. Bad news is Zen(1) based CPUs is not officially supported by Windows 11. If im not mistaken thats what the udoo bolt embeded ryzen is using. Good news is that Msoft will not stop you from installing Windows 11 as long as you meet the system requirements, which the udoo bolt does.

6. riri0

riri0 UDOOer

For the record, I have my udoo bolt running a Windows 11 insider build. It runs pretty well save for crashes here and there that could be due to its insider nature, not necessarily because of its unsupported cpu. Will wait for final release before making any conclusions for a permanent install.

7. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

Does it have drivers for the hardware or do the Windows 10 ones work?

8. riri0

riri0 UDOOer

I did not try installing from the iso that Microsoft released recently, as I used Windows Update to update to the insider build, so I have no comment on that.

Works fine with the Windows 10 ones when upgraded from a Windows 10 installation with all the latest drivers installed. I did try upgrade from my current installation, but it was really unstable. Upgrading from a freshly installed Windows 10 + all latest drivers only looks to be more stable so far..

9. riri0

riri0 UDOOer

Heads up if anyone wishes to try our Windows 11 too. Seeing as Microsoft announced that unsupported hardware will not get Windows Updates, I will most likely revert back to Windows 10 if the insider program too doesn't get updates or if this policy doesn't change.

10. riri0

riri0 UDOOer

I opened a ticket about 2 weeks back to ask UDOO about Windows 11 support and they have yet to reply. Before that I asked AMD support, and they said that they are under NDA regarding Embedded Products, and I was required to ask the manufacturer of my product. Can I assume that Udoo is dead as they never replied to my question?

11. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

I doubt it is dead and Udoo is not making the drivers of the V1605B processor, AMD does, if they make official Windows 11 drivers it will work very good, otherwise we will make it work with the Windows 10, as a last resort the drivers shipped with Win11 and for the bigger AMD processors will work to a great degree, I suspect very few things will not work if there are processor specific parts not in others.
    All in all, it is an AMD issue if the Bolt will see Windows 11 drivers, unlike Linux which has drivers for some ancient hardware that existed even before some of us were even born..

12. JMS

JMS New Member

13. MaryroseHogle

MaryroseHogle UDOOer

14. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

I have tried to install Windows 11 on my Bolt (with the checks for TPU and CPU disabled) and it fails to install. I would like to hear if anyone else has better luck.

15. lillianlambert

lillianlambert New Member

I haven't personally tried it on the Bolt, but I have used Windows 11 on a few other devices and so far it's been working pretty well for me.If you're looking for more info on whether the Bolt is compatible with Windows 11, you might try checking out some Reddit threads. I've found these communities to be a great resource for finding answers to questions like this, and there's a good chance that someone has already tried running Windows 11 on the Bolt and can share their experience.Another option you might want to consider is getting some reddit windows keys and giving it a shot yourself.