Write Serial to COMx ( COM3 ) to Windows from Arduino

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Jp100, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Jp100

Jp100 New Member

I'm trying to write Serial Data to COM x on Windows ( not using Linux at this time ). I'm using Hairless MIDI to pull data ( debug ) but not getting data.

I can see ' Arduino Output Monitor COM(3) ' <-- simliar in Hairless when trying to pull data ( or listening ) but nothing. Tried sendNoteOn and Serial.write / Serial. print --

* Is there anyway to open a COM Port with Number to write serial MIDI data or any data too in Windows ?

Thanks in advance !

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The Arduino IDE Serial monitor is normally functioning good enough to see incomming messages and send outcomming messages. So if nothing is coming out of arduino, nothing is coming out and you have to look into the sketch or protocol. Try a simple serial example to check the principle. https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ReadASCIIString
    You cannot monitor serial com with 2 different programs at the same time.

3. Jp100

Jp100 New Member

This helps but what I'm trying to figure out is that Arduino is using COM3 on Udoo and I have input serial coming through Arduino ( rx tx ). I want to pass this data as it comes to COM5 or COM6 ( SERIAL ) into Windows Udoo x86 ( and read as it comes ) Not sure how to route data to com5 or com6 into windows.
    Will keep digging.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I do not understand why? Where is this serial data coming from? From another device?
    But to read TX/RX in Windows you can use an USB-TTL converter device and read the serial data in Windows.

5. Jp100

Jp100 New Member

Data coming in via Midi cable ( through MIDI Adapter - want to bypass usb ) so I'm looking for documention on how to pass serial data to COM ( other than port Arduino uses ) port to Windows ( and linux later ). I will dig around more later.

6. Snakebyte

Snakebyte Member

I've been unsuccessful in utilizing the COM3/COM4 (UART2/UART1 on CN15) for serial communication. With console redirect on in the BIOS, the splash screen will present at full speed, but immediately afterwards all communication (to the bootloader, e.g.) slows to a crawl. I've raised this issue repeatedly, but all I get are pointers to someone's else's example of it working. I finally gave up and turned off console redirection, which amazingly enough then allowed the bootloader to function properly.

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Is still not understand what you are doing.
    You have a MIDI cable connected to your music instrument and to where on the Udoo you want to physically connect that Midi cable: on the Braswell (Windows/Linux) side or on the Arduino side? Where is that MIDI Adapter connected to or is the the MIDI Arduino Shield you are using as in the other thread?

There are other physical UART ports available on CN15 on the Braswell (Windows/Linux) side: https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Hardware_Reference/Pinout_Braswell.html
    But I still do not understand why you want to use those in your case.

If you are referring to connecting another serial device connecting the Arduino part with the Braswell part you could try to connect Arduino pin 0 and 1 (on CN15 and programmed in sketches with Serial1() https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Arduino101#toc12 ) with one of the above mentioned UART 1 or 2 on CN15 with 2 wires. But you will need a bidirectional level shifter as Braswell is 1.8V, Arduino is 3.3V!