parallel port on x86?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Kevin Sears, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Kevin Sears

Kevin Sears UDOOer

Hi All
    My first post!
    I want to add a parallel port (DB25) so i can connect to a CNC router I have.
    Is this possible?

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Using LPC is hard (too many pins on LPC side, needs 1.8 <> 3.3 translator, then parallel port needs many leads. Even a Super-I/O chip like W83527HG can't save the effort. After that BIOS has to initiate the Super-I/O chip properly.)

Easier (but still ugly and not streamlined) is to use
    https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/my-mega-thread-on-regular-sized-pcie-slot.7045/
    to obtain a regular PCIe form factor slot, then plug in
    a regular Parallel -- PCIe card such as Syba PEX10010.

Bottom-line: it will be cheaper just to buy a modern MKII 3-D printer controller board and use the USB to save the day.

ccs_hello

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You can use an Arduino as a driver for the parallel port of your CNC router:

I did not watch the movie and I don't know if the software can be used on the Arduino 101 side of the Udoo X86. But it looks promising.

5. Gizmozs

Gizmozs New Member

you could maybe use a usb to DB25 cable, Amazon sells them for about $20 canadian.

6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

That type of device won't work. It's based on USB's "Line Printer" (cooked device) profile.
    What the OP needed is the raw parallel port access for word banging (3+ axis Step & DIR signal toggling.)

ccs_hello

7. bodgyuk

bodgyuk New Member

You might be able to use the Arduino side of the Udoo to act as a traditional parallel port or any other microcontroller programmed to emulate an LPT port.

8. Weetit Wanalertlak

Weetit Wanalertlak New Member

I just found this. It might help you. I did not try it yet but soon.

9. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

That video's device is a $110 device: UC100, which can be viewed as a "CNC Controller Adjunct".
    Mach3/Mach4 thru plug-in will talk to UC100 in which Mach3 view it as a CNC controller.

The brain inside the UC100 will interpret G-code and translate into motor movement.
    In another word, the heavy lifting is no longer in PC software but that $110 device.
    That device will use DB25 port signal to drive motors and take in sensor input.

At the end of day, it's a decision that
    - stay with the old CNC motor-controller hardware, find a fleaBay $25 old Windows XP PC (main controller work is done on PC)
    - get a modern CNC controller and use a reasonable recent PC with USB capability to drive it (main controller work is on CNC controller)
    or something in between
    - stay with the old CNC motor-controller hardware, use UC100 as the CNC controller, and use a reasonable recent PC with USB capability to drive it (send G-code) <-- main controller work is done by UC100

10. Weetit Wanalertlak

Weetit Wanalertlak New Member

I couldn’t agree with you more. Now it is the end of the road for LPT and USB2LPT is only give it few more days. Update CNC controller is always a better solution.